Cooking in the winter, wind & rain

dave caston

TVWBB Fan
I love cooking in the winter. Nothing like good BBQ in the cold months, remind me of spring and summer. The best thing I've done was to get a "blue 55 gal. plastic barrel and use as a wind barrier. It works great and it was cheap to buy, only 10 bucks. Cut out the top and bottom and placed it over the WSM and I have had no trouble keeping my temp in the cooking range I'am going after. It work well rather I'am cooking at low temp or at a high temp(for turkeys)
so if you are haveing trouble with temp control on a windy day, get a blue plastic barrel.
Right now I'am smoking a 5lb brisket and two spare ribs cut to kansas city style. started at 6 this morning and should be ready by the time the football games start.

With the top open doesn't rain get in your WSM?

I use a guru w/smoking jacket. Works like a charm (more expensive than the barrel) but a pain to take on and off in the rain.

The rain is not to much of a trouble, the peices that i cut from the top and bottom I used the as a lid, I place them on the rim of the barrel and use it as a sheild from the rain. so far so good. But I'am looking for a better way to fashion a rain guard for the top, got something in mind but got to see how it works.

Dave - where does one find a barrel such as the one you mentioned? I don't recall ever seeing them in the stores -- but maybe I just never noticed.

Back