Cooking in Aluminum Foil pans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I cooked a pork butt this weekend using a technique I read about in the Cook's Illustrated "The Best Recipe: Grilling and Barbecue". I had an 7 lb pork butt, and with the cold weather I didn't trust an overnight cook. So, I put the pork butt in a aluminum pan before putting it in the WSM, cooked it for 4 hours, wrapped the butt (still in the pan) in aluminum foil, and finished it in the oven at 325*F. Then I put the still-wrapped butt in a brown paper bag for an hour. After the hour rest, I pulled it and served it.

The results were excellent; I was able to cook a 7 lb pork butt in 7 hours, the pork shredded easily, and tasted great. And it was easier to clean up my WSM than it's ever been, since all the drippings were in the pan - I just dumped the water pan out and wiped it off.

My problem is, I can't shake the feeling that I was cheating, especially with the ease of cleanup. (I know I'm cheating by finishing in the oven.) I'm used to making a mess of the kitchen while I scrub grates and the water pan.

My question for all the experts out there is: what effect does smoking with the meat in an aluminum pan have on the results? The only thing I can think of is the meat sits in the fat that's rendered while it's cooking. The end result didn't seem too fatty, though. I figure the smoke gets at the meat from the top and sides, and the heat is supposed to be indirect in the first place. Thoughts?

Hi Michael,

I don't know if it is "cheating" or not, but I have used disposable aluminum pans much like you did for years. It is especially useful in a Cookshack-type oven to keep the goo from dripping all over, and in any type of cooker to prevent "basting" one type of meat with another's juices. I always put a cheap little baker's cooling rack inside or astraddle the foil pan to keep the meat up off the grease.

George

Dale:
That's what I used to do...until one month when I didn't use the WSM. When I opened it up, I saw fur growing on the inside. Ever since then, I've been more consistent with my cleaning.

Michael
I thought that furry stuff was an antibiotic,
was I wrong??
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Jim

I always thought the fur was one of those natural indicators that old-timers used to predict the severity of the coming winter.

The thicker the fur, the colder the winter!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back