Cooking a butt for a meal next week

John Bailey

Hi there! So I'm not new, but I feel this is a new type question. I am having a party (an you are all invited!) May 21. I am going to smoke 3 pork butts for the main course. It's gonna be an all night smoke, so I do not want to do it the night before the party. i was hoping to do it this Saturday night, and serving next weekend. Thoughts? Good or bad idea? Best way to store and reheat come party time?? I do have a vacuum sealer I though of sealing th meat in and keeping in the fridge all week.

A week is a long time to hold cooked meats, especially meats that have been handled as thoroughly as a pulled pork butt would be.

I would say you should either smoke it closer to the event or freeze and defrost it.

John, maybe I missed something, but why don't you want to do it the night before the party? A long rest is good, and it's always best when fresh. That's why I've got a wsm and not some stickburner that keeps me up all night.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Assuming you're smoking three decent sized full pork butts, you can easily keep those hot (food safety guidelines is above 140*) all day if needed. Preheat a decent cooler (one of those that supposedly keeps ice for three days of more) with hot water or wrapped hot fire bricks from the oven (Alton Brown's idea, not mine).

After smoking, I double wrap the meat (and a little AJ) with foil and add two or three two liter soda bottles full of hot water to the cooler as well. Also, wad up newspaper for any leftover space. Like I said, I've gone all day, about nine hours like this, no problem.

It's always a little tastier right after pulling, so I usually wait and do that in front of my guests right before supper. If smoked to tenderness overnight low-n-slow, there won't be much if any fat or connective tissue to pull out so it's not a big deal at all. It should just about fall apart on it's on after unwrapping from the foil. (I use BearClaws to "pull", but feel free to leave it in chunks if you want. I've had it that way at Big Bob Gibson's in Alabama, which is famous for their pork shoulder, winning Memphis in May, so it doesn't HAVE to be pulled. It'll dry out faster that way, anyway.)

If you've got enough smokes under your belt to know your cooker, you can set it and (almost) forget it, and you shouldn't miss much sleep. If you don't have a remote pit therm, that's not a problem. Just get it smoking somewhere in the 225-250 range measuring at the vent, 200-225 if using the factory gauge (assuming it's accurate). After you feel that it's steady, if using briqs, tap each leg a few times to knock off the ash and set your alarm to go off about six hours later.

Get up and check to see if the coals need stirring (especially K blue bag) or the vents need shutting some. You can go ahead and add some more hot water if you want to as well, but the (2009 and newer) water pan will hold enough water for probably about nine hours without getting too low.

Three butts is a great number for your first overnight cook, by the way. It's harder to overdo the bark on one butt over the pan vs. two filling the bottom rack. The two on the top rack should be done at the same time or before the one on the bottom rack, even if all three are the same size... at least if using water in the pan.

Excellent info from everyone. I think I will wait until next Friday night to cook. I've done overnight cooks before and the WSM hold temp unbelievably well. ( I really could not beleive how consisten and for how long it held 225 degress last time I smoked a butt). That said. . . I bought 3 butss yesterday that are wrapped in plastic (can;t remeber the term) but not saran wrap. The date shows May 23 as the best buy date. Am I good holding these until next Fri, May 20?

John, if you mean a cryovac pac, you are good.

From what they tell me, that sell by date is for the store's purposes, as in when they got it in, and a butcher told me that you're good at least six weeks or so past that.

I haven't went nearly long, but you get the idea. Don't be alarmed if there's an odor when you first open the bag. That's not unusual with cryovac pacs, and there's never a problem as long as any odors dissapate after rinsing the meat off.

John, glad to help.

Cryovac pacs are cool because you have a MUCH longer window of time in planning when to cook, and so I buy them on sale, even if I don't have time to cook them that week, or the next.

I've might have gone nearly a month past the sale by date and have yet to have one that had gone bad. Just make sure there are no holes at all in the plastic and try not to forget about it...out of sight, out of mind.
icon_wink.gif

Back