Cook #3 Ribs...finally.

Frank C. in NY

TVWBB Member
I built up my courage and finally took the plunge with a longer cook. I got a chance to go to my local restaurant depot with a friend who has a card to get in. I was in heaven. There was so much good food waiting to be prepared. When we pulled up there was vehicles from at least four different restaurants parked outside shopping with me.

I ended up in the pork isle and found the ribs. I picked a decent looking pack of what I thought to be two rib sections. I also picked up a few of the 2/20 pound packs of KBB for 13.99. Not bad, right? :confused:

After much research I decided on two different rubs to try. I made the Meatheads Rib rub for one section and the Texas Sugarless rub for the other. I started my prep, cut open the rib bag and what do I find? Three sections of ribs!! Nice bonus. So, two ribs got the Meatheads rub, the last got the Texas rub.

Once everything was prepared the wife gave me the look and stated how she didn't like ribs and wanted chicken. I pulled a few breasts out and cooked them up on the gasser for the wife and my sister.

See below for pics.

Reviews: Everyone loved them. My father was in heaven. I gave everyone a brief description of each rub recipe used and gave a quick tutorial about how ribs should not be fall off the bone. A lot of what we get here in NY is fall off the bone. Again, overall everyone really liked them. The main difference between the two was leaving the Meathead ones dry only and the Texas ones got glazed before serving. We are mostly used to the "wet"ones as we started calling them, the dry were good, but by the end of the meal we were adding sauce to them also. The Meatheads rub had crushed Rosemary in it and was a distinct taste. I'm not sure if when I use up the rub I will use it again. It really gave the meat a taste I associate with chicken instead of a red meat.

IMG_20140620_122319_203_zps2jutzio9.jpg

IMG_20140620_125716_119_zpsjgb1lnqc.jpg

IMG_20140620_152644_087_zpsfwdihro0.jpg

Not to shabby there with calibration!!

IMG_20140620_184922_936_zpsgjalvkez.jpg

Chicken for the wife unit.

IMG_20140620_185057_312_zpsjmqoiuqj.jpg

Meatheads Rub

IMG_20140620_185128_544_zpsmzogpqwz.jpg

IMG_20140620_185310_705_zpst9lscee3.jpg

Texas Sugarless Rub

IMG_20140620_185616_775_zpsywf8p9st.jpg

Meatheads

IMG_20140620_190018_553_zps3hilbiva.jpg

Texas Sugarless

No plated pic, it was just to blurry.

Awesome slabs! Complimenti! May I suggest you some foil at the edges ???
But I would like some tecnical details..... ;)
Water in the water pan?
Cooking T average during the 3 phases (there were 3 phases or not?) ????
If foil, what in foil???
Cooking time?

Awesome slabs! Complimenti! May I suggest you some foil at the edges ???
But I would like some tecnical details..... ;)
Water in the water pan?
Cooking T average during the 3 phases (there were 3 phases or not?) ????
If foil, what in foil???
Cooking time?

I did these just a straight smoke, no foil or 3-2-1 or 2-2-1
They took about six hours to cook.
I did use a water pan for these. My first to cooks were high heat and no water. This one I tried the pan. I filled it half way, ran out about five hours in but the temps held true. Nothing over 235 and nothing lower then 215 for this cook.

Back