Controlling Temperature on the Weber Gourmet System

TouX

TVWBB Member
iyy4.jpg

I failed miserably at making pancakes this morning on the griddle with my daughter. I loaded about half a chimney of ashed over charcoal into my two charcoal holders, put the griddle in place, and closed the lid for 5 minutes. The griddle was searing hot when I opened the kettle and I just had a bad feeling it was going to burn my batter. Sure enough, the batter burned badly after just a few seconds of being ladled onto the griddle. This would have been great for searing scallops, chops, steaks, or fried rice/sitr fry, but how do you guys keep the temperature down for more delicate things like pancakes and eggs? Perhaps I should have used less charcoal and maybe should have also placed my charcoal holders off to the sides for an indirect heat source to keep the temp down? In the end, I went inside defeated and resorted to making pancakes on the stove top with my flat pan. Suggestions and tips???

In addition to your excellent two guesses, less charcoal, and the charcoal holders to the side (indirect), I would suggest you closing / adjust the bottom damper to have less air in your kettle. There are many ways to control the temps with this kettle. Use the search tool and check; you should not feel defeated, there's a learning curve before you reach total complete victory. If you like bbq and the kettle, you will.

Depends on how many pancakes you want to cook, and how long you want to keep the griddle hot. If you want an extended cooking time - for say 6-8 or more griddlecakes, then like George said - charcoal baskets and indirect. You don't want the kind of heat charcoal can generate going directly under that griddle. I would actually use a full chimney, with half a load in each basket, pulled outside the edges of the griddle, not directly underneath.

If you only wanted to do 3-4 then half a chimney is plenty. Probably set the baskets just at the outer edges of the griddle surface.

Something you might try.

On the bottom where the cleaner 'sweeper' arm comes out, I put hash marks with a permanent marker on the aluminum ring that demark bottom 'vent' fully closed, and 'vent' just barely fully open. That way I can adjust temperature (with at least a reasonable degree of accuracy) without having to open the lid. If I get home early enough tonight I'll take a pic or two to show you what I mean.

Weber puts those symbols that show air flowing and air not flowing, but that just wasn't anywhere even close to accurate enough. Now I can adjust temps to get a nice steady temperature inside (if I keep the lid closed).

That may help a lot with your pancake making.

Russ

Something you might try.

On the bottom where the cleaner 'sweeper' arm comes out, I put hash marks with a permanent marker on the aluminum ring that demark bottom 'vent' fully closed, and 'vent' just barely fully open. That way I can adjust temperature (with at least a reasonable degree of accuracy) without having to open the lid. If I get home early enough tonight I'll take a pic or two to show you what I mean.

Weber puts those symbols that show air flowing and air not flowing, but that just wasn't anywhere even close to accurate enough. Now I can adjust temps to get a nice steady temperature inside (if I keep the lid closed).

That may help a lot with your pancake making.

Russ

The secret to controlling any fire is the amount of oxygen you allow into the cooking chamber. The next most important consideration is how much you allow your kettle to exhaust. They have to work in harmony
You have probably taken on the toughest challenge. Even with an indirect fire the heat will be come from one side unless you do a perimeter fire setup. Whatever you do Russ is right you have to restrict the air and reduce the heat.

I don't use the baskets, I just put most of the chimney indirect but drag a single layer of coals under the griddle. As has been said, I also use the vents to control the temps and have done pancakes and french toast that way with good success.

I don't use the baskets, I just put most of the chimney indirect but drag a single layer of coals under the griddle. As has been said, I also use the vents to control the temps and have done pancakes and french toast that way with good success.

That's great to hear. Gives me hope. I'll be trying your one layer of charcoal approach this weekend.

Back