Completed Temp controller

Its a PID controller that learns your pit temp as you cook, its got adjustable temp control. Its also a 12v dc system so you could run it off any 12 volt battery. There is a temp sensor for the pit and a fan that turns on and off to maintain the temp. I mounted it in an aluminum box, its not waterproof as of yet but may be in the next design. It is pretty simple to build, I am going to try it out next weekend if I get the change, hopefully it works like it is supposed to.
icon_cool.gif

The manual that came with the controller had some set values for BBQ smokers, so I just used them to get started. I am going to use the auto tune feature once I get a chance to use it. According to the instructions the controller will learn reaction time of the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Goretzki:
I just finished building my temp controller. Pretty basic but thought I would share it for everyone. Built it for less than a $100.

Temp Controller </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt,

Great job! Can you provide a list of the materials, cost if you have them and a diadram of how you linked up everything? Did you sodder it? Which PID did you use, the Auber?

Thanks,

Richard

You can buy most of the stuff from auber instruments:
Pid controller (sl1612B) 12vdc controller 37.50
K type thermocouple 9.95
Thermocouple panel jacks 5.36
Solid state relay 5 amp 7.20
All those items are from auber.
I got these from Radio shack
DC power jacks M type (need 3 female) 3.69 each
DC power jacks M type (need 2 female) 3.69 per 2 pack
10 cfm dc powered fan, ebay has them for around 5-6 dollars
12 volt DC power supply. I used one from and old cable box. You want one that has 2 amp output. I seen some on ebay for around 5 to 6 dollars. The power jacks need to be sized to the power supply that you get. If you take them to radio shack they will get you the right size.
If you order a pid controller from auber instruments they send instructions of how to wire one up. I will try and draw a diagram and post it if I can figure out how to post a file.
Radio shack also sells some project boxes that would work really nice to put the controller in, I made mine out of some scrap laying around the garage.
you'll need some 18 or 22 gauge wire. i used a small dog dish to attach the fan to the smoker. I will post some pictures of that.
Some items have to be soddered, but most of the connections can be made buy terminal connection.
I am going to test it out this weekend will let you know how it works.

Very nice! I like that you used the SSR. I did quite a bit of research in building one. When I was getting ready to price out the parts and pull the trigger to start my build Auber ran a sale that just made to much sense when comparing build v purchase. Many diy do not use the SSR which I believe leads to burn outs. I'm also not an engineer or electrician, but I do work in risk management and I have to many a time where someone diy's a project and the results turn out really bad. Let us know how your test run goes. Based on what I see and the fact you used mostly Auber products I am confident that it will perform just like the Auber ATC. The reason why I ask about meterial & diagram is I would like to have a second unit for my other grill and I really would like to take a shot at building it. This is how you post pictures.

Back