Cleaning Taylor Thermometer Question

Joe P

TVWBB Member
I use a Taylor thermometer in the top vent of my WSM. The first couple times I used it, I would be able to clean the shaft right down to original clean metal. I've seem to have lost that battle the more I used it.

Right now, its got pretty good coat of black on it.

1) Does anyone have any tips for cleaning it?
2) Or, should I just let it go and keep it black?
3) At what point with the black coat start to hurt its temperature rating ability?

I use the same kind of therm and have probably had it 5 years or so. I just use one of those sponge pads, yellow on one side and green on the other, and a degreasing dishwahing liquid. I scrub the probe pretty well with the green side and then finish washing on the other side. It comes fairly clean in appearance and has continued to function. However, I will admit I'm not as fastidious as many on this board.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Joe, try a little Greased Lightning and a scrub/sponge or some Dawn Ultra and hot water, it should come clean.

Don't know the answer to #3.

i used an SOS pad on mine & it came right off. I had the same concerns about the temp question, but if you can get it back to clean every few cooks, it shouldn't make any difference....just test it every so often.

Joe, the black coating on the themometer shaft shouldn't affect temperature readings, except if the thermometer is receiving radiation from a relatively hot source. That certainly isn't happening in a slow cook, where the water pan isn't above 212 degrees.

Also, if the thermometer is located so the meat shields it from anything below, it should read OK no matter what.

The only effect of the blackening is to slow down (very slightly) the rate at which the probe comes to equilibrium with its surroundings, namely the hot air in the dome. A delay of seconds, maybe a few minutes at most.

Virgil

Back