Chuck Roll first timer?

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
I just found out at 1pm Central time that a friend of mine would like me to cook a 25lb chuck roll he ordered for a party at his house tommrow (saturday) at 6pm. I have searched the forum and found plenty of good information. Should I plan on a 24hr cook even if I foil at 160 degrees? If so I am thinking about putting the Roll on at 5pm tonight to allow for at least 1hr of rest time tommrow. Also, would it be taboo to cut the chuck roll into smaller roast (about 8-10lbs) to reduce the total cooking? Any advice from the chuck roll guru's out there would be appreciated.

It would not be taboo at all--in fact I would recommend cutting your roll in two. It will make for a smoother and shorter cook. Consider foiling at 165.

Have a great cook and a great party. (At least your friend didn't want a five-course sit-down for 25 people for tomorrow--I've had that happen to me--twice!)

Thanks for the advice Kevin. If I cut it into two 12 pound rolls what do you think for a cooking time? I am guessing around 18-20hrs.
Shawn

I'd still definitely give yourself a good 24 hours. After cooking, that much meat will stay way above 140 for 5+ hours easily. Just wrap in a bunch of HD foil, then put in a cooler, with some towels on top to fill the air gap. It will stay for a long time.

Better to be generous on time than have to push things at the end. Frankly, you could probably even give yourself some more time, but that's just me...

- Adam

shawn--

I don't think I've ever had a roll go longer than about 1.25hrs/lb and most shorter than that, closer to an hour. With a MM start it'll take a bit longer to rise to target--lots of meat--but that's about it.

It is one of the few cuts I take to a higher internal--~200 is my preference. Wrapped and coolered they'll stay hot for quite a while, as you'd suspect and as Adam notes.

Back