Chuck Roast and Fajitas

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
I am having a fajita party this weekend and was planning on using the traditional method of marinating the skirt steaks and chicken and then grilling them. However, thisthread really makes we want to smoke a few chuck roasts and use them for the meat filling in the fajita instead. I am sure it would taste great but I worried that some people would prefer a traditional fajita. Has anyone had a chuck roast fajita or taco?

If you're going a traditional route then skirts will give you the flavor and especially the texture but I wouldn't discount chuck out of hand. I don't marinate them but instead make a paste rub out of appropriate dry herbs and spices plus fresh garlic and oil. I smoke/cook at higher heat (see the link at my post in the thread you noted above) and add lots of sliced onions and red and green bell peppers and strips of ripe jalapeños to the foil along with a drizzle of o.j. and lime when I get to the foiling stage. These, of course, get served with the meat but so that the texture won't be all soft I serve barely sauteed salt-wilted shredded cabbage alongside to add slight crunch to the mix and, of course, make salsa fresca (pico de gallo) and salsa roja to go with it all. Not traditional fajitas but recommended.

Back