Chicken wings

John E.

Hello ya'll,
I was wondering if any one has ever cooked chicken wings on the WSM? About how long did it take and how did they come out? I was thinking of doing them for a pot luck at work. Something different for a change.

John
ozarkone@aol.com

I've seen some other threads on this.

Do a search! (the search tool is great)

I usually do mine on my Weber kettle. If you use the WSM it should be used at high temps or the wings will end up a little rubbery.

MikeZ

John,

I've done wings on the WSM a few times and been happy with each. I've done both low and slow with other food, and then hot and fast. I liked them both ways (used hickory both tiems). Low took about 3 hours, Hot was about an hour.

Hope that helps,
Josh

I've done it a couple of times. High heat though, no water pan, around 350 grate temp. Maybe 15-20 minutes a side while basting with franks red hot mixed with garlic and jalapeno's. Could probably go faster, but I like to cook them until they are almost falling apart.

Anton

I too have done them and they come out fine. Use lump open all vents and spray with a little oil to get some good crust on the skin. Don't use too much wood, they get overpowered easily IMO.

I like to cook chicken wings with high indirect heat and some smoke. I usually use my weber kettle for that. Sometimes I'll use my gasser as well. I prefer to use the WSM for low and slow.

If you're trying to do baked buffalo style wings, the cooks illustrated recipe is pretty good for the sauce. I believe Frank's hot sauce is the base.

Bill

Bill

Just had to add my absolute fave recipe for wings. You just deep fry them until golden brown, then soak in a simmered concoction of 2 parts frank's to one part margarine (only good use for margerine I know of). Then, throw on gasser (or oven...sorry) for about 5 minutes to bake on the sauce.

Apparently, this is the original recipe and I have never tasted a wing recipe that could beat it! Plus, it's about the only thing in the world I'll eat bleu cheese with
icon_smile.gif

Back