Chicken Wing Transport

Hey guys,

Question for y'all: In a couple weeks, there is a neighborhood wing cook-off I plan to win. What is the best way to get my wings from my home to the home of the cook-off. I have about a 25-30 minute travel time. Cook them as usual and wrap in foil and throw in the cooler? Or is there a better way???

Mike

Can you cook them there? That would be ideal, and it seems silly to have a cookoff if everyone cooks at home first.
icon_confused.gif

You must live in one heck of a large neighborhood if you have 25-30 minutes of travel time.
icon_eek.gif

I can't imagine wings being very good after that much transport. A good wing needs to be crispy IMO.

Can you get them almost done at home and then crisp them on a grill at the competition location? That's assuming you are grilling/smoking.

If you are frying them, I don't know what to recommend...foiling will just result in greasy/mushy wings. Generally, I try to show up early to pickup my wings from the takeout joint because they get mushy after more than 5-10 minutes in the box.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B.Watts:
You must live in one heck of a large neighborhood if you have 25-30 minutes of travel time.
icon_eek.gif

I can't imagine wings being very good after that much transport. A good wing needs to be crispy IMO.

Can you get them almost done at home and then crisp them on a grill at the competition location? That's assuming you are grilling/smoking.

If you are frying them, I don't know what to recommend...foiling will just result in greasy/mushy wings. Generally, I try to show up early to pickup my wings from the takeout joint because they get mushy after more than 5-10 minutes in the box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta agree here.. Why are they not letting you cook on-site?

I consider Wings my best dish and if they are not eaten 10-15 mins after they get out of the fryer, they do loose that crisp.

The only think I can think you could do to salvage some of the crisp is put the wings on some napkins, and place them in the cooler...Then sauce them up AT the location.

Even if you do this, They wont be crispy like they should be.. try to avoid wrapping them during transport..

Yeah, its a little odd. I may just bring a couple ketttles and do them there. The reason I asked the question was because I also was afraid of the crispiness going by the wayside with transport. Looks like i'll be doing them on site!

BTW: I don't live in the neighborhood where everyone else does, just good friends with the people.

Back