Chicken thighs

Kevin MM

TVWBB Member
I was thinking about smoking chicken thighs this weekend. Anyone have any good recipe or advice for cooking them? At what temperature should I take them off the grill at? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

see this - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?45884-Firecracker-Chicken&highlight=firecracker+chicken

null_zps65135d2f.png

Then there is roadside chicken - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken&highlight=roadside+chicken

Then there is Sponge Bob Chicken - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42547-Sponge-Bob-s-chicken-recipe&highlight=sponge+bob+chicken

Then there is Cornell Chicken - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/cornell_chicken.html

Not sure any of these are "smoked" but I have grilled all of them except the cornell and they are very good. I like to cook them at 325-350 so you get a crispy skin. Pull at 170 degrees or so for dark meat and at the recommended grilling temp this should be 30-45 minutes for thighs. If you have a WSM grill these on it without a water pan and you wont have to worry about flare ups.

Gook luck and post results/pictures.

I vote for the roadside and cornell also, I've done both and I have smoked roadside with applewood. That firecracker chicken looks good, thanks for posting, I will have to try that.

I tried smoking chicken thighs for the first time last week and mine turned out awful. I usually grill them on the weber grill at a higher temp. I smoked them on my WSM at around 270 or so, and the skin was so tough like plastic I couldn't even bite a piece of it. I think it has to be cooked at a higher temp? Not sure what you should do about the skin.

I read somewhere that they recommended to take out the water pan for the last 20 minutes to crisp up the skin. Should you take them off the smoker and put on the grill for a little while?

I read somewhere that they recommended to take out the water pan for the last 20 minutes to crisp up the skin. Should you take them off the smoker and put on the grill for a little while?

I didn't have water in the pan at any time. I have always smoked without water in the pan. I believe it just has to be cooked at a higher temp..but I will leave that to the more experienced experts! Interested to hear what others have to say as well.

I've about given up smoking them in favor of grilling on the OTG. I grill indirect at around 400F for about an hour until they hit 165-170. For prep work, I hit them with salt & Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, then brush on a mixture of mayo, crushed garlic, salt, & cayenne, & rest in fridge for an hour or two. After about 30 minutes, I'll start spraying with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar about every 10 minutes.

Yeah, smoking chicken has not been easy for me. Great tasting meat, but the skin? Not so much. Been having better results lately. Things I learned: Remove the water pan for chicken cooks. Light more coals at the beginning and make sure to let the coals really get established before throwing the meat on. Cook it as hot as the WSM will run. 325* is pushing it for mine. Cook for twenty minutes skin up, then flip skin down for another 20 minutes. Start checking for temps after that.

I tried smoking chicken thighs for the first time last week and mine turned out awful. <...> the skin was so tough like plastic I couldn't even bite a piece of it.
Ahhh... bite through skin. Can be done on a WSM, but takes more prep time as well as a different approach than just placing them on the grill, ie scrapping the detached skins and (partially) cooking the thighs in a butter bath.
Totally delicious !!!

I'm starting to reconsider cooking the chicken for this weekend!!! We have a bbq place by me and we would get the smoked chicken and it was unbelievable. I wonder what they do.
Mark I see you use dizzy pig- I use dizzy pig dizzy dust for my ribs and pulled pork. It's a great tasting rub.

I am supposed to do chicken thighs tomorrow on the kettle rotisserie, in a basket.
after reading the Firecracker rub above, I will be lobbying my spouse ( I mean suggesting) that we try that rub.

Did two meatloaves stuffed with turnip greens & kale tonight on the 26 inch kettle.

Back