Chicken question

Just finished my first chicken on the WSM and my first beer can chicken ever. The chicken came out very moist with great flavor. The skin was tough.

I rubbed it with olive oil and a basic bbq rub before putting it on. Didn't do anything during the cook.

What would cause the skin to be tough and how can I do better??

Chicken on the WSM at low bbq temps (225-250) is great chicken except for the skin.
What temp did you cook at?
For chicken with good skin we are looking at much higher cooking temps.
Tell us a bit more about how you cooked.

J, I cook comp chicken which requires a bite thru skin. As marc points out there are ways to do it both high heat and lower heat. If you want crspy skin you can cook at 350 degrees. you can also cook at lower heat ie 225-250 and finish over high heat for crispy skin. In the comp world were all skin would be soft due to the box there are other methods. I personnaly use a jaccard to pierce the skin and then I apply a natural papaya extract tenderizer to the skin prior to my rub. This method produces a nice bite thru skin consistantly. I cook mine at 270 and up. Some folks will remove the skin and scrape the fat off, this is more problimatic with whole birds and I would suggest using the papaya and jaccard.
Glad to see you are cookin, good luck with the birds.

Mark

Hey J, Beer can chicken is one of those recipes I prefer to do in my gasser. Been doing it before I got my WSM and the chicken has alway come out juicy with great crispy skin. I've tried to do all the little tricks like air drying the skin, different rubs, higher heat but it has not been to my satisfaction on the WSM. So, I'll stick to my tried & true method on the gasser & use the extra space in the WSM for extra racks of ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
J, I cook comp chicken which requires a bite thru skin. As marc points out there are ways to do it both high heat and lower heat. If you want crspy skin you can cook at 350 degrees. you can also cook at lower heat ie 225-250 and finish over high heat for crispy skin. In the comp world were all skin would be soft due to the box there are other methods. I personnaly use a jaccard to pierce the skin and then I apply a natural papaya extract tenderizer to the skin prior to my rub. This method produces a nice bite thru skin consistantly. I cook mine at 270 and up. Some folks will remove the skin and scrape the fat off, this is more problimatic with whole birds and I would suggest using the papaya and jaccard.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the technique, I will definitely try that. I know that papaya is a natural tenderizer, where can I find the extract? I know that you compete, how have you done with your chicken and what would be a good base to start a rub? I don't cook chicken to often, when I do its beer can, but I would like to get into it but I don't know where to start(I haven't really looked into it). This post has sparked my interest. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Diaz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the technique, I will definitely try that. I know that papaya is a natural tenderizer, where can I find the extract? I know that you compete, how have you done with your chicken and what would be a good base to start a rub? I don't cook chicken to often, when I do its beer can or wings, but I would like to get into it but I don't know where to start(I haven't really looked into it). This post has sparked my interest. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard, i have used 3V liquid meat tenderizer for 1.5 yrs. It has never let me dow for bite thru skin.

http://www.tenderizemeat.com/m...nderizer-p-2585.html

1st comp this year, (CBBQA practice) 1st place.
Last weekend, Smokin on the Water, KCBS, 9th out of 35.
Even though the skin is way important, I think equally is the taste and texture of the meat. Send me an email and we can talk.
Glad you have an interest.

Mark

Mark,

I am very interested in your Jaccard/Papaya method for whole birds. For thighs, I remove skin and scrape fat. But I don't like this method for whole birds.

Do you mind sharing your tips and cooking temps on the WSM to get decent skin? Do you brine at all?

Thanks MK......Morrey

Morrey, no prob. I always brine my birds. They sing better when brined. I use 3/4 cup Kosher salt & 3/4 cup turbinado (raw sugar)to 1 gal water. If you don't need that much water just use the same ratio. I sometimes add a good italian dressing, but not always and I'm not convinced of it's merit. I brine for 4 hrs. I then air dry in frige, at home, or in cooler at comps for 4 hrs. The instructions on the papaya say to rub the skin with water before applying the papaya, sometimes I do, sometimes not. I do use the jaccard to puncture only the skin prior to applying the papaya. I apply a LITTLE bit and rub gently to cover all the skin. Wait about 10-20 minutes, rub, wait about 20 minutes then on the cooker, well then on the cooker in a foil pan, wel that's for thighs, whole birds I usually put on a beer can. ANyway I cook my chicken at about 270-300, trying to stay at 270 but my 1st place this year ran at around 300 with no harm. I cook till the color is to my liking, the juices run clear and the meat temp is 160-170. I believe in the brining so much that I never don't do it even at home. Oh for my comp thighs after their "butter, Parkay, bath they go on the grill, get flipped once fron skin side up to skin side down then after 15 -20 min back to skin side up and apply glaze, let set on grate for 15-20 min then in the box. I usually don't glaze whole birds, but I have and they come out nice too.

Mark

Mark,

This sounds consistent with what I have heard from cooking temps....staying around 275 or slightly higher.

I always brine just as you do. For poultry, brining makes a world of difference as is does with fish like salmon.

The Jaccard sounds like a perfect remedy to letting the fat have an outlet to render out with a whole bird. Since I do thigh skin differently, whole birds always give me rubbery skin. I can't wait to try your Jaccard/Papaya trick for a whole beer can chicken.

Great tips! Thanks MK.

Mark - is it okay to let it brine overnight and air dry in the morning? Also how long for a 3 lb. bird?
thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Digg:
Mark - is it okay to let it brine overnight and air dry in the morning? Also how long for a 3 lb. bird?
thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

J, the max rule of thumb for brinning birds, that I am aware of is 1 hr/lb. I go 4 hrs for pieces or whole birds regardless of weight. I would suggest you do an overnight brine and see if you like the results? All suggestions should be tried and you develope what you think is best for you.

Mark

Hey Mark, just wanted to say thanks for such great information that you contributed to this thread. I too learned alot.

Back