- Central Texas Highs and Lows

D Fillman

After planning for years, my wife and I finally made it to Central Texas in April of 2022. Here is what we found.

We didn’t have great experiences at the Old School BBQ places: Louie Mueller‘s in Taylor, and Kreutz, Smith’s and Blacks in Lockhart. The main reason, was because the people working in all these places were NOT friendly and seemed to barely tolerate us. Though the BBQ in Lockhart was decent, Louie Mueller was a huge disappointment. Not only was the counter help rude, but the beef rib, brisket and sausage were all tasteless. We were shocked. Hopefully it was just one really bad day for a legendary place. It’s also no wonder to me that Lockhart has tanked in the Texas Monthly ratings.

The good news is that Franklin BBQ is still phenomenal: the fatty and especially lean brisket were absolutely worth the 5 hour wait. Hays Co. BBQ in San Marcos was the biggest surprise: though only in the top 50, it has a great atmosphere and the brisket, ribs and sausage were tremendous. Also the best smoked chicken I have ever had. The Burnt Bean Company in Sequin was unbelievably great: the brisket, ribs and sausage are off the scale and the sides we’re the best of the trip. Though #4 now, I would bet BBC will go to #1 soon. Valentina’s Tex Mex in Austin was another great surprise: brisket tacos with habanero sauce smoked in mesquite were fabulous. All these places were very friendly and had true, legendary Central Texas BBQ.

If you are careful to do your research before you go, it will be the greatest trip you will ever have to get the greatest BBQ on the earth!

I agree on burnt bean. It was fantastic. I've got to make it up to try the new terry blacks in Lockhart one of these days.

Back