California > San Diego (Flinn Springs): Grand Ole BBQ

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
I’ve visited Grand Ole BBQ in both their locations. The Flinn Springs location I have been to recently so I will limit my info to that location as I know their North Park San Diego location has been under quite a few changes.

Bottom line is that it is worth the trek to get out to Flinn Springs which is east of San Diego as you head towards Alpine. I visited in 2019 and again in March of 2021. Texas BBQ is the name of the game here and they do it very well. They converted what appeared to be an old roadhouse into a BBQ heaven. Large inside area and huge family friendly outside area complete with some games, a stage for live music, and a nice view of the cooker set up. They also have bars outside with TV’s and fire pits.

The menu is manageable and the beer list vast. $4 Shiner Bock’s on my most recent visit! We did a sampler of brisket, pulled pork, sausage and sides were green beans and slaw. The sausage won the day hands down! It was juicy and had a nice spice and great smoke flavor. Brisket was excellent with my only complaint is that we got a few slices that you could tell had been sitting for awhile. The fresh slices were incredible. Pork was good. They give you sauce on the side if you want it. Green beans were the best side we enjoyed.

I try to visit San Diego every year. This place is definitely somewhere I would trek to each time even though it is a good 40 minutes outside the heart of SD.

Sadly I was not in a picture taking mood so only have the one shot of the grub! 85A2FF28-F2B7-4CEC-AB02-8F4F57029E00.jpeg

that is some great looking food! we get out that way often and will definitely give this place a shot. their site says they will take orders up to 7 days out - which is a great insurance on making the drive.

Back