Cajun Bandit grommets

TJMartin

TVWBB Member
I just installed a pair of these on my Mini WSM to my Maverick ET 732 to keep the cables in good condition. I was thinking about getting another pair for my 22.5" Platinum Kettle since the cover is a lot heavier and could do more damage over time to the Maverick cables.
Has anyone done this yet? Makes me nervous drilling into my kettle, I don't want to hurt the paint job, that grill is my baby.

If anyone has any experience doing this to their kettle, or even a WSM let me know how you did it and how it came out. I love how it looks on my Mini WSM and I like how the cover sits flush now and I'm not always worried about hurting the cables.

I drilled out my WSM, first put some painters tape on the kettle,The painters tape helps to keep the bit from sliding around, then mark your spot, I started with a 1/8" bit and gradually worked my way up to I believe 3/8" used about 6-7 different bits came out perfect, just drill the two holes then change bit etc etc

Last edited:
I've seen guys report doing this with mixed results. Sometimes zero problem. Sometime major flakes. I want to do it to my Weber OTG as well, but can't stand the idea of big flakes of paint coming off. My plan, when I have the right equipment assembled, is to "score" the area to cut with an exacto knife or sharp utility knife. The size of the score will be slightly larger than the area to be drilled, but just a smidgeon larger. I will use the tape, but before I put it on, I will use a center punch to set a dimple for the drill to center on. And I will probably do my hole(s) in two whacks, making a fairly small hole, then stepping up to the full sized hole. Maybe overkill but I really want to leave as much of the paint on the kettle as possible. The only chips I want in my kettle are hickory! Heh heh!

Back