Butts over Brisket - first time - questions

a gampher

Howdy,

I'll be doing butts over a brisket this weekend for the first time and had a few questions:

1. I'll be using water in the pan. I've never smoked a brisket on the middle grate, what differs from the top grate? What should I be prepared for?
2. Will there be any noticeable difference in the cook time for 2 butts and a brisket instead just two butts or a single brisket? I've done both cooks separate, but never together.
3. Does the fat/rub from the butts change the taste of the brisket or simply keep it moist throughout the smoke? I'd prefer to keep the brisket on the top grate, as the butts are more forgiving.
4. In your experience, will I need to be prepared to add additional fuel in the morning? I'm using kingsford original briquettes and the minion method.
5. Any other advice?

Thanks a ton, you guys are great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by a gampher:
Howdy,

I'll be doing butts over a brisket this weekend for the first time and had a few questions:

1. I'll be using water in the pan. I've never smoked a brisket on the middle grate, what differs from the top grate? What should I be prepared for? <span class="ev_code_RED">I would cook the brisket on top and butts on the bottom. The brisket will take less time to cook and if you're planning on foiling, it will be easy to access versus moving the butts and grate to get to the brisket.</span>

2. Will there be any noticeable difference in the cook time for 2 butts and a brisket instead just two butts or a single brisket? I've done both cooks separate, but never together.

<span class="ev_code_RED">No difference other than it may take a bit longer to get the WSM up to temps due to the cold mass.</span>

3. Does the fat/rub from the butts change the taste of the brisket or simply keep it moist throughout the smoke? I'd prefer to keep the brisket on the top grate, as the butts are more forgiving. <span class="ev_code_RED"> I agree!!! Keep the brisket on the top!</span>

4. In your experience, will I need to be prepared to add additional fuel in the morning? I'm using kingsford original briquettes and the minion method.

<span class="ev_code_RED">You should not have to add if you start off with a full load. However, you may depending on the weather. If it's windy and/or rainy, you may possibly have to add a couple additional handfuls. </span>

5. Any other advice? <span class="ev_code_RED">Enjoy your cook and BBQ!</span>

Thanks a ton, you guys are great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always do the brisket on top and the butts on bottom. The brisket always comes off first the butts can go one on top and one on bottom

I have done butts over the brisket and have had good result with brisket on the bottom. Self Bastes the brisket but if you have a good fat cap that does not matter as much.

I liked cooking the brisket at slightly lower temp on bottom great. Seemed to come out just right but there was issue when I foiled and had to switch from bottom to top.

Back