Butt to freeze or not

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Ran across a nice butt roast in the store today.
Just cooked one a few days ago all gone. Wondering if I should cook it in the next day or so, and then freeze it. Or freeze it and then thaw and then cook. My family probably won't eat the whole butt,at one time, so I would have to freeze some of the leftovers anyways. I like the idea of having some, in the freezer, for a quick meal in a pinch. Any thoughts ? John

I would cook it and then freeze it. When I cook butts now, I cook 4 at a time. The work isn't all that much more than one or two and the left overs are an easy meal waiting to happen. I also like to have some pulled pork around for Keri's beans.

I try to avoid the thawing process whenever possible. I agree with Jerry, cook then freeze

Like Jerry, I cook 4 at the time. When they cool down, I pull the bone and then use the FoodSaver and freeze them. Drop the frozen butt (in the FoodSaver bag) in boiling water for about 45 minutes and the butt is just like fresh cooked!

Thanks all. I like the idea of the food saver/freeze/boil/pull/eat. That way there sure is no problem with timing your meal, boil 45 minutes pull season & enjoy. Sounds simple enough, maybe I should go back and by another one and cook both of them. In case we get company. Happy Smoking !!! John

The foodsaver is a nice way to go. I'll seal them up in individual serving sizes then just drop them in some simmering water and your good to go. Its especially nice when the Mrs. is on the health kick and you need a que fix.

even though I don't have a foodsaver, I agree with everyone else. Much easier to cook 2 or 4 butts at a time and freeze the leftovers. Its great because I can get just the amount I need for pork tacos, enchiladas, pizza, etc.

I will go against the grain on this one and say freeze it then cook it later. Thawing isnt a big deal if you have the room in the fridge. If I know Im going to cook then I take it out on wednesday.

The butts on @ 6:40 am this morning. No water just foiled pan. Temps holding in the 325 range lid, trying a high heat cook. Got the food saver ready to go. Family just informed me they wouldn't mind eating pulled pork today. So I don't know how much will make it to the freezer. Thanks again everone. John

Yep I always cook and then vac bag and freeze the left over. I have typically frozen pulled leftover though. I seperate into one cup servings and freeze two to a small bag. Quick heat for dinner!

Next time though I'll be making enough to freeze a whole butt as well as pulled. Great idea.

Back