Burners Going Out On a 2011 Summit S-670

David B.

TVWBB Fan
I purchased this grill brand new in March of 2011. Fired it up and all seemed fine up until late May when I had the extended family over for a cookout. It was a windy day (approx. 10-20mph wind gusts throughout the day) and I fired up the 670, which is natural gas by the way, and all was fine until I noticed the temp drop on the lid thermometer. I go to check it out and notice that the flame is out on one of the middle burners. I relight it and go back to doing what I was doing and come back to check the temp a minute or two later and notice it has once again dropped below what it should be. I now notice that two of the center burners are not on. Up until now the grill had been facing the wind head on, so I rotate the grill so that it is no longer facing the wind. The side burner end of the grill was facing the wind. It seemed to help a little but I still continued to have the same problem off and on and it occurred with different burners each time. Made for a bit of a stressful cookout because:
1) I am worried about the burner going out with the lid down and filling the grill with gas which would be an unpleasant experience to say the least and
2) not having even temps to complete the cookout for everyone.

The grill is always cleaned thoroughly after every cook. I inspected the burners, flavorizer bars, drip pan, etc, etc, etc and could not find what could be causing this. I continued to use the grill the remainder of the season with pretty much no problems but then again there was never really another windy day such as that one and I have remained vigilant over the burners since that experience and making sure they do not unexpectedly go out.

After further inspecting the flavorizer bars, I have noticed that some have different discoloration on the bottom of them. I've also noticed that a particular burner's flame is not blue when burning, but a more orange/yellow color in part of the burner.

My first question is, should a natural gas grill's burners be easily blown out by the wind?

I have contacted Weber CS and they want to send out one of their contracted service people in my area to replace the manifold. I'm curious as to why their high-end grill would have this problem with it only being a few months old.
Has anyone on here had similar problems?

Also, I know according to their manual that a different color flame on the burner could be a signal of something going on. But what?

I was told by Weber CS that perhaps my burners needed to be "adjusted" because they think I may not be getting the proper amount of gas flow out them? Does this sound plausible?

I have owned and still own many Weber grills, both gas and charcoal, as well as their line of WSM's and never had a problem. I guess I am left scratching my head as to why their most expensive grill is having problems right out of the box?

Sorry for such a lengthy post, but I wanted to give as many details as possible.

Looking for all the info I can.
Thanks in advance.

I'm not that familiar with the burner layout on the Summits and I wonder if it is possible for stuff to drip on them during a cook. In my grills, the burners are pretty well protected by the flavorizers so they don't get much in the way of drippings on them. Were that not the case, I would suspect that carbonized residue might be plugging the burner holes.

The other potential problem would be spider webs in the burner tubes, but not this time of year unless it is stored in a heated space.

Good news that Weber is going to send someone out. If you can tell what they find, let us know. I cannot imagine this not getting resolved to your satisfaction.

Thanks for the reply and your input. I had examined the burners and other surrounding areas to see if there was any possible dirt, buildup, spider webs, etc to be found as an explanation, but everything looked good. The grill is currently being stored in my garage for the winter so I will get it looked at and hopefully resolved in early spring. I currently have a kettle on the patio for my winter grilling cravings.

When you say you checked for spiders, did you chek the inside of the tubes?
No problems with the natural gas flow?
Maybe its a defective regulator? Is it freezing over?
Beiing a higher end grill, deifinitely seems like something is not quite right on it.

Yes, I checked inside the tubes. Also had the natural gas flow checked.

I'm just feeling that the burners going out on a windy day is not normal. I could see if the burners were on very low setting and they blew out on a very windy day, but that particlular day I had all six burners on med/high range.

as long as its under warranty there is no reason why you should mess with it and you should let weber handle it. i would not touch nor mess with it until they fix it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
as long as its under warranty there is no reason why you should mess with it and you should let weber handle it. i would not touch nor mess with it until they fix it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't plan on messing with it, especially since i shouldn't have to since it is under warranty. however, i do plan on cooking on it once the weather warms up to see if the problem persists and i will be contacting weber customer service to get it repaired until it functions as it should.

***UPDATE***

Weber's Customer Service has come through again. I just had all 6 of my burners, manifold, and gas line connection replaced by Weber. Hopefully this will rectify what I had experienced last summer. The repair technician said that "everything that could be causing the problem has just been replaced, so if it continues it most likely has to be something else." We shall see.

***UPDATE***

Weber's Customer Service has come through again. I just had all 6 of my burners, manifold, and gas line connection replaced by Weber. Hopefully this will rectify what I had experienced last summer. The repair technician said that "everything that could be causing the problem has just been replaced, so if it continues it most likely has to be something else." We shall see.
Hi David, Did the replacement of those parts resolve your problem? I was visiting a friend today (May 2022) who owns a (big) Summit natural gas grill, and mentioned they plan to replace the grill as the burners keep blowing out. Thanks and best wishes! Steve

Back