Burn - II; The Overnight

John Letourneau

I am one to jump into trying things where perhaps others might ease on into new territory. Since my draw to the WSM was to be able to smoke overnight, that is what I tried for my second round of BBQ; and last night was the night!

Bought 2 Boston butts [on sale for $1.08/lb] on Monday. Tuesday I made up a paste with some of my frozen onions from last year, fresh hot peppers, mustard, spices, sugar, ... The first thing I noticed was that the mixture was a bit runny -- the vegi's contributed a good bit of water. Next time I will try to cook them off a bit to get rid of some of that. I forged ahead and slathered the butts, bagged them, and put them in the fridge.

Wednesday I got things rolling around 6:30. Applied a rub to the butts, started the cooker. The meat went on at 19:00, temp 120. By 20:15 I was at 225 and peaked at 240 at 20:45. I started shutting down the vents at 150, not wanting to overshoot my temp too much. So I closed the one vent off at 150, the second I went to 50% at 200, then I shut all down at 240. When it came down a bit [30 minutes], then I opened 2 of them about 25%. Then off to bed at 21:30! [yeah, I'm an early snoozer.
icon_smile.gif
]

At 6:30 my temp was down to 160; needed some fuel. Also added a bit more hickory because I also put 2 fatties on to give those a try. Heat came back up pretty quickly. Took the fatties off after 3 hours, temp 170. One of the butts was also at 185 so I foiled/cooler'ed that one. The other was at 179 so I opened all the vents and let it sit another hour.

At 17 hours both butts are done and in the cooler, the fuel is spent [18# Kingsford], and I had a wedge of bark that just happen to get stuck to the grill. I can't wait for the resting time to be over!!
icon_cool.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a successful cook!

In the future if you want to get rid of water from vegetables try grating them (a food processor is easiest) then wrap them in a clean towel and squeeze the water out. It works great.

I really need to start taking pictures
icon_wink.gif

The pull of both butts went off without a hitch; I know, you were concerned <tee hee>. Pick up one end and it splits in half. Turn it sideways, and the bone pulls right out...sweeeeet. Moisture is very good, and the bark is very very tasty; that little bit of cayenne.

I did forget to mention that I injected these with a 1/2 & 1/2 mixture of pineapple juice and Coke. No doubt added to the tenderizing and moisture content. I think the next time I will kick up the spice of the injection, perhaps some Old Bay, so that the inside meat can get a bit more flavor. I know to mix the outside and inside meats together once all pulled, but still. I like my flavor
icon_eek.gif

Until next time....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back