Brisket time in NH

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
I'm a crazy person, at least that's what my friends probably think. But, I'm likely the most understood here in this group 😜
February in NH, correctly 23° outside so why not do a nice long, slow brisket cook and throw a garage party, right?! Calling it brisket and beer and I'm sure we will have a blast. Experimenting with my new themopro temp spike. Really like it so far, and the app is better than inkbird. It will be interesting to see how the cook goes in these temps in the old performer. Wish me luck!IMG_20240209_051806_530.jpgIMG_20240209_051806_608.jpgScreenshot_20240209-053540.png

If you started drinking when you started bbq'ing then you might not make it till the end.....I wouldn't probably.....
It was something I had to over come.
Maybe I'm not following along, I seen the word party in the first comment.
Haha, I'm serving this brisket with a keg tomorrow for a party. Actually, I'm getting up to cook a second one tomorrow morning

So break down your pros and cons of your Therm prob. How is the range, were you like 30 or 50 ft away from your cook? Did you leave the controller out on thr performer during the cook. Did you double check the temps with a instant read thermo pen?

I boughtvthe Paul probe set up and like it so far on a oven cook but I am looking for pointers from any who have one.
My first time owning a wireless bluetoothed unit and still learning.

I like the way you trimmed the brisket.
Good on you for not being afraid to lose some red meat.

I cut the snot out of mine until I am happy with the way the flat looks.
I dig making my own hamburger with brisket trimmings and a tad of smoked pork belly end cuts.

I need to do another brisket.

I like the way you trimmed the brisket.
Good on you for not being afraid to lose some red meat.

I cut the snot out of mine until I am happy with the way the flat looks.
I dig making my own hamburger with brisket trimmings and a tad of smoked pork belly end cuts.

I need to do another brisket.
Thanks! I do the same, waste nothing. Fat becomes tallow and we will make corn bread with that tomorrow. Meat gets groomed up and turned to burger, maybe some chili this time

So break down your pros and cons of your Therm prob. How is the range, were you like 30 or 50 ft away from your cook? Did you leave the controller out on thr performer during the cook. Did you double check the temps with a instant read thermo pen?

I boughtvthe Paul probe set up and like it so far on a oven cook but I am looking for pointers from any who have one.
My first time owning a wireless bluetoothed unit and still learning.
I really liked it. The base is inside on my porch, about 10 feet away from the performer. I was in the house or garage and it worked fine, within 60 feet it so. Seems accurate to my inkbird, but the app is much nicer. More info, better layout, doesn't loose connectivity and crash like inkbird occasionally does. I like the inkbird, but this is just nicer to use, especially being wireless. Only regret is that I didn't order the twin spike with the digital readout on the base. At the time it was not much more because of the sale, would be nice to not need the phone to check temps. Otherwise I absolutely love it

I like to be very accurate with my thermometers because a few degrees really affects my sourdough starter and dough timing and time is an ingredient for some of the stuff I do.

The other day I pulled out 9 of my temp sticks to see if they all were about the same.
One of my inkbird ones was consistently off a good 8-9 degrees from all the others so I took that one out of the rotation for now and will retest it after a bit.

I figure a large group test is the best way when I don’t want to do a 212 test.
YMMV.

I like to be very accurate with my thermometers because a few degrees really affects my sourdough starter and dough timing and time is an ingredient for some of the stuff I do.

The other day I pulled out 9 of my temp sticks to see if they all were about the same.
One of my inkbird ones was consistently off a good 8-9 degrees from all the others so I took that one out of the rotation for now and will retest it after a bit.

I figure a large group test is the best way when I don’t want to do a 212 test.
YMMV.
Makes sense. For me a few degrees won't affect the meats I'm cooking, at least not enough to really notice

I guess we need a wireless thermo page so we can evaluate each unit buy, amount of probes, ease of use, accuracy, distance in actual terms around the house,yard,garage without dropping signal.
And any other pros or cons you may have with such a device.
If you look at the prices it makes sense to pick them apart so we know in our minds we are buying what meets our needs.
Just a thought what you think Chris?

I have a temp spike as well. It's great for several things since it's good to 500 degrees. I use it in the oven in the kitchen..... My one complaint so far is the battery goes dead between uses. Lithium batteries would not so it's a circuit problem that has parasitic drain. It's actually in the oven right now while I'm steaming a pastrami to 200F that I just took out of the smoker at 165.

Back