Brisket Point Chili "Colorado"

Obviously onions come in a huge range of sizes, when a recipe calls for "1 onion" does that mean basically 1 Cup??? Is there a standard translation??

When a recipe calls for 1 onion it means 1 medium onion unless otherwise specified. I dislike volume amounts for vegs unless accuracy is essential; it usually isn't. Had I written '3 cups sliced onions' would many readers know how many onions to start with? Probably not. For most, I think (certainly for me), knowing the quantity rather than the volume is easier and more to the point and eliminates the mental conversion step one needs to make every time volume measurements are confronted. 1 med onion ? .75 c.

Thanks Kevin...I thought I had read somewhere that there was a semi-standard conversion. I usually just buy the big onions so the volume amount is useful to know for me (plus I'm a scientist so I want to know EXACTLY how much
icon_smile.gif
)

WOW, all I can say is WOW....the depth of flavor is fantastic. I followed Kevin's suggestions, fresh chilies from my small garden, roasted 2 big jims, used 2 jalapenos (these are much hotter than normally at the stores), and 3 red serranos, 1 T of ancho powder, then followed the recipe with the exception of chicken stock as the liquid....meat was leftover smoked chuck....fantastic - a definate keeper.

Am going to try this one again the weekend. Will probably break it into 2 batches, because I want to see what it is like without the pineapple. More curious than anything, but I'll try it each way.

I Made this last night, very nice, the point does melt in your mouth and my wife really enjoyed the pineapple addition. Perfect chili for a chilly October night.
Thumbs up Kevin.
Tim

Man this is soooo good. Made it again, this time with the leftover point - it does indeed just melt in your mouth. Used the last of the fresh chilies from the garden, skipped the pineapple, added one can of black beans. Wow the variations are endless. The key I think is both the onions and the peppers in the blender...this adds a depth of flavor - layers. This is now a regular recipe. Thanks Kevin.

Had everything else on hand Jane and wanted to use up the leftover point....got it up to a simmer then put in a crockpot then left for dancing (English Country Dancing), came home to wonderful smells!

Now with a dried mango variation (scroll to just below the original). Dried sweetened mangoes are available at TJ's, some Asian or indian stores, some health food stores. They add great texture, imo, and fruity sweetness but are hard to specifically identify. Yum.

Thanks for another great recipe Kevin.I smoked up a brisket on Monday, and came here looking chili suggestions and came upon a timely post with someone asking for a chili recipe.Saw the link, and had most of the ingredients on hand,so decided to try it. Wondered about the ginger and pineapple,but it came out great.

So,is a medium onion the size of a baseball?
icon_smile.gif

They seem to be growing them bigger and bigger these days

Paul

I wrote baseball size Kevin. While reading this thread, i came across Don's comment on "medium" sized onions, i wondered the same thing. I had a tennis ball nearby, and it seemed too small, so i figured maybe a baseball size would be about the right size to be considered a medium. I found one source that had a small @ 4 oz. , a medium @ 8, large 12, and XL was a pound.
No big deal, just found it interesting. The chili was very good and i will make it again.

Paul

Thread ressurection !

This is one of my favorite recipes so I'm planning on making this for about 50 people for my sons 1st birthday party next week.

33 adults, 17 kids. I'm thinking about quadrupling everything in this recipe. We're also having hot dogs and assorted munchies.

Think I should be alright ?

Made a version of this last night using brisket from the kettle brisket I did the other day. The version I made was close to the second version (posted below the first version, page 1 of this thread), except that I used dried baby pineapple and dried mango in the mix.

Cutting the smoked brisket point (and some of the flat) into large pieces keeps it easy.

IMG_0082.jpg

Once the brisket is quite tender in the chili (a very low simmer, covered, for 2.5 hours in this case) it can be removed (the pic above), allowed to cool, then chopped finely and returned to the pot.

I served tossed with orrechiette pasta, topped with a little crumbled feta and a bit of chopped green, yellow and red bell pepper, and surrounded the chili mix with buter beans that had been stewed with minced celery and scallion, peas folded in at the last moment:

IMG_0085.jpg

It is excellent for breakfast. Here, with leftovers from dinner the night before: eggs scrambled with the previous night's dinner leftovers (egg noodles tossed with caramelized onion, thinly sliced Savoy cabbage and herbes de Provence), broccoli, haricots verts, avocado, then topped with the smoked brisket chili, homemade ricotta and Merken, a unique blend of dried and smoked red chilies (ají cacho de cabra), toasted coriander seeds, cumin and salt that is made exclusively in the Araucanía Region of Chile by their natives, the Mapuches.

IMG_0093.jpg

I'm just going to resurrect this thread every 10+ years or so. I recently purchased a Weber SmokeFire and my first cook was a brisket. Had a big chunk of leftover point and I made this again and it was still damn good eats! The gift that keeps on giving!

Back