Brisket flat

Mike Pypiak

TVWBB Member
Cooking a small 3 lb brisket flat (first time!) on my 14.5. Started at about 8 this morning. Temp has been high today, using minion method and it is running at around 275 / 280 all day which is higher than my last few cooks. It is a bit warmer down here in NC today, thinking maybe thats it.

Here is the cut out of the package:

Brisket out of the pack by pypiak23, on Flickr

Rubbed it down with Worcestershire, salt, pepper and this "awake a steak" rub I had in the cupboard. The rub is garlic, salt and instant coffee and is damn good on steak so I figure I'd try it out. :

Rubbed down by pypiak23, on Flickr

Here it is when it is first on, about 8 AM this morning:

Brisket first on at 8AM by pypiak23, on Flickr

I made a mop sauce out of a 12 oz IPA, Worcestershire sauce, texas pete, apple cider vinegar chopped garlic and onions, salt, pepper, red pepper flake. Brought to a boil for about a minute then immediately cooled in ice bath:

Mop sauce by pypiak23, on Flickr

Some mop ingredients:

Mop ingredients by pypiak23, on Flickr

Here it is after about an hour, just mopped:

After 1 hour by pypiak23, on Flickr

Will post more throughout the day!

Last edited:
It has been on for about 4.5 hours now, I think I am in the plateau... hasn't moved off of 160 IT for about 40 minutes maybe. Smoker is down to 250 and holding well.

Looking good Mike, are you going to foil it? If you are now is the time, otherwise let it rock and roll until fork tender. Can't wait to see it

I was thinking I should - trying to get it as moist as possible. Foil and put it back on the smoker you think?

ok - foiled it and we're back on. put a generous amount of mop sauce in there with it. meat feels pretty tough still.

Took it off the smoker and have it wrapped up in a cooler right now. Temp is 190. Going to let it rest for another hour or so I think.

I learned about the "stall" yesterday with a small pork shoulder. Stuck at 150°. Foiled it and it helped.

With a flat I like to use mustard to help bark formation and then when it's good and dark foil it with liquid. Then the rest in the cooler really makes it tender. Looks like you sis going to turn out great.

Not bad for my first time around the block. First time I used pecan wood and I really like the flavor it gives. The rub and mop sauce added great flavor as well. It was a not too dry, not quite as tender and had a small smoke ring but overall we were pleased!! :

Finished up, out of foil:

IMAG0321 by pypiak23, on Flickr

Sliced:

IMAG0322 by pypiak23, on Flickr

Plated, my lady made some fantastic slaw to go with:

IMAG0324 by pypiak23, on Flickr

Looks good Mike. Know it will be delicious. I've had my worst stalls on pork shoulders. Did a 9 lb butt a couple of weeks ago. Got it on around 7:00 am. It hit 160 and didn't budge a degree for nearly three hours. I was trying to wait it out and then realized we might not eat until very late, so I foiled it and finished it off. We ate around 10:00 pm after letting it do it's thing in my cooler for an hour or so.

thanks guys!

side note, my 14.5 was running really hot today. I've done about 5 or 6 cooks before and with the exception of today, I had been struggling to get it to stay over 250. Today I couldn't get under 250. I had the top vent wide open and 2 bottom vents shut and 1 barely cracked. Had to add cold water to the pan after the first hour to get it under 300. Really hovered around 280 most day, which I think may have dried out the meat a bit. Assuming that is why the smoke ring was small, the meat shot over 140 in no time, maybe 2 hours tops.

Back