Brisket done temps?

Hiya,

I am doing my first brisket Saturday night and I have noticed most people pull at 190 - 205 degrees. I like to cross reference with my Paul Kirk's Cmp BBQ just to keep me sane and sure. I noticed he said the brisket should be well done or 160 degrees.... he also says above temperature its done when its just tender and suggests to pull when its tender. Anyone got some advice for me. This is quite a variance!!

Thanks -Tyler

paul kirk has won many brisket ribbons, i doubt any of his briskets were tender at 160 though

@ 160, brisket will still be in it plateau and will not be close to done. Brisket will be done, when it is done. That's anywhere from 185-205. But don't go by temps. If you can insert a fork or temp probe in several areas of the brisket (I like to do the thickest part of the flat)and it goes in without any resistance, you know it is done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tyler McCallum:
Hiya,

I am doing my first brisket Saturday night and I have noticed most people pull at 190 - 205 degrees. I like to cross reference with my Paul Kirk's Cmp BBQ just to keep me sane and sure. I noticed he said the brisket should be well done or 160 degrees.... he also says above temperature its done when its just tender and suggests to pull when its tender. Anyone got some advice for me. This is quite a variance!!

Thanks -Tyler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There has to be a misunderstanding here. Is he talking about foiling at 160*? Of course, I have no idea if he uses foil, but just a thought
When a probe goes in like the meat were butter, it's done.

I'll delete my post if you delete yours.
icon_smile.gif

LOL Dave

Ya its really wierd... maybe a typo or something. Also Paul Kirk never makes any reference to foiling in any methods I can recall.

Well thanks for confirming my suspicion

Back