Brisket and Butt, which one on top?

Originally posted by Thomas/Klamerus:
I am going to be cooking a whole brisket along with a pork butt. Is there any preference as to which one cooks on the top grate?

I like to cook the briskets on the top because they typically finish before butts (depending on the size of each) and I foil my briskets at 165*.

Some people like to put butts over lean briskets to help baste them with the pork drippings.

There is no right or wrong way, just the way that works best for you!

Good luck on your cook!

I go with the butt on top because of the drippings that will fall on the lean side of the brisket. I cook the brisket fat side down to help protect from being closer to the fire. The difference in cook times will make this method more inconvenient in all liklihood.

Paul

I'm a Butt over Brisket guy myself. I start the Butt first then add the Brisket on the lower grate and they finish pretty close to one another. Just my prefference.
icon_smile.gif

Because the Butt was so small (you just can't find big ones these days) it finished in 12 hours. The Brisket was done in ten hours. Thwy both tasted good and now I have several vaccume sealed packages in the freezer

Back