Brisket and Butt: What's on top?

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
This year, our Memorial Day Smokefest will be a brisket and a butt. I'll be doing them in an 18" and can't remember if the brisket or the butt should go on the top rack. I'll probably wrap the butt in foil at some point later in the cook, and may or may not wrap the brisket in butcher paper - depend on how the cook is going. They will cook overnight, with the target to be cooked by noon and ready to serve by 3:00p.

Anyone care to share experiences with grate placement in their own dual cook?

Thanks.

Jeff

Usually it's butt over brisket ( BOB)
Thinking is the butt drippings will moisten the brisket.
I never tried it, ( or maybe I did?) lol, because I use two different rubs and one might not work with the other as far as drippings.
If your going with just S&P then I don't see any concern.

Butt over brisket is the conventional wisdom, but I usually put sweet rub on a butt and I don't want that on my brisket. Also, I'm more concerned with the brisket and the fat rendering just being a Texan. The dripping of the pork butt might hinder that. So even though it'd be a pain to move the brisket and top grate aside to wrap the butt, I'd just suck it up and do it, and try not to leave the lid off too long. My WSM goes thermo-nuclear when I do that.

though it'd be a pain to move the brisket and top grate aside to wrap the butt,
I am the opposite. I wrap brisket but never butts, and I go S&P with maybe cumin only on brisket, with sweeter rub on butt.

So I would go brisket on top for ease of access to wrap and to keep sweet off my beef.

Thanks. I hadn't thought through the implications of butt rub on my brisket (that doesn't sound right). I may just do the brisket on top and not worry about brisket rub (S&P) and beef fat dripping on the butt.

My alternate plan would be to do the butt a day ahead of time using hickory and then post oak for the brisket cook. I like the sharper smoke flavor of hickory on pork and have confidence in reheating a butt.

Jeff

Back