Brining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Gardner

TVWBB Member
Hello to Everybody,
The new article about brining is real timely for me. I've been reading about doing a honey brine turkey. My pk. of Morton Tender Quick is on order and when I get it I'll try brining.
I do have a question though. If I put my turkey in a large plastic bag and pour the brine in, would I get the same results with less solution? I'm thinking I could put the whole thing in a chest cover with ice for 12- 24 hrs. rather than submerging the bird in solution.
Thanks,
Billy Gardner

You might want to try injecting this wonderful recipe. I do all mine this way and get great results. A fellow only needs 16oz of the brine for injection if you follow Shakes recipe.

Dave

I have successfully done many birds by putting them in the bag exactly the same way you have described. You need much less brine that way. I would suggest that you put some water in the cooler first or you risk the treasure of the brine blowing out the bag. The water outside balances the treasure inside. Have a couple or three of 10 lb bags of ice on hand in the summer. Even the best cooler will heat up in the summer.

Happy Birding.

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back