Bourbon/whiskey flavor

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,
Hey I’m wondering what is the best was to flavor a pork belly that I’m working on.
I’m trying to make a jalapeño, bourbon garlic flavored bacon.
My plan is to cold smoke this belly in one piece and hang it in either my wsm or a vertical smoker but that could change.

I’ve always brined with the usual items and the bacon turns out really nice.
The last few times I added jalapeño to the brine of half of the belly thinking some will be hot and some will be the norm.
It all turned out tasty but I couldn’t tell any difference between the two.
That might be due to the weak jalapeños they sell up here.
I dunno.

This time I added 6 minced Serrano peppers along with the 6 jalapeño peppers to increase the heat.
I also added 2 cups of Jack Daniels whiskey and one cup of Bulleit bourbon to the brine.
Thinking that the flavors are not adhering as good as I wanted I used my fillet knife to perforate the belly.

Today (day 8) I rinsed my pork belly, towel dried it and placed it on a rack with some black pepper corns I just ground w/some red chili flakes.
It’s currently in the fridge building up it’s pellicle.

So anyways back to my question how do I insure that I get a good bourbon flavor?
Do I toss it back in the brine bag with more bourbon for a day or should I maybe use the booze as a spritzer after a few hours of cold smoke?
I’d hate to inject it but is that a decent option?
Thanks.

I've never tried, but google found this...

In the kitchen, bourbon can be used to enhance pork dishes with its bright and complex flavors, pairing particularly well with the sweet and smoky elements of the meat. However, its higher proof requires patience to cook off the alcohol taste, allowing its best flavors to shine. When choosing a bourbon, opt for sweet and smooth wheat expressions like Buffalo Trace for a sugary note, or peppery and bold rye bases such as Bulleit for added heat. Incorporating bourbon into marinades or sauces can elevate dishes like roasted tenderloin or pork chops, with careful consideration of the amount to use for optimal flavor. Read the full article to learn more important tips when pairing these two.

I've used bourbon flavored maple syrup before for a glaze after the pellicle formed.
Dusted it with BP and used sugar maple for smokewood. Had a mild bourbon flavor.
I think the spritz sounds good but do it several times to build up layers of flavor.

I ended up using my wsm and Hunsakers hanging rack kit to cold smoke this belly.
I also decided to inject about 3/4 cup of bourbon into it.

At this point this is more or less an experiment to see how to make the flavors stand out.
I figure go big or go home.

To keep the temp where I wanted I had to move the wsm to the other side of my place to find some shade.
It’s leveled off at mid 80’s and I plan on running it until 8-9pm.
I think having the lid propped open with our breeze acts like a fan on the smoke and I’m liking that.
After it cools tonight I’m going to wrap it in plastic and refrigerate it until tomorrow.

Tomorrow depending on what it looks and tastes like I might smoke it a bit more, or not if I think it looks like/ tastes like what I’m after.
Hopefully it’s BLT’s for dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_4690.jpeg
    IMG_4690.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4692.jpeg
    IMG_4692.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4703.jpeg