Boneless Pork Shoulder

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am doing a pork shoulder tomorrow but I bought a 2 pack of the boneless ones. I tried the boneless version once before but found they did not work that well because of the large "flap" on top of the location above the bone was difficult to deal with.
Thinking I am gonna tie it up. Anyone else done it like this? Results better?

I am doing a pork shoulder tomorrow but I bought a 2 pack of the boneless ones. I tried the boneless version once before but found they did not work that well because of the large "flap" on top of the location above the bone was difficult to deal with.
Thinking I am gonna tie it up. Anyone else done it like this? Results better?
I've tied many a boneless pork shoulder, works just fine. I prefer them tied so that the shape is more solid, and it doesn't flop around on the grill. I usually do two strings in each direction for a total of four strings. I also take the opportunity to get some rub on the inside before I tie it. Works for me, anyway! :)

R

In my ignorance I just treated it as two and cooked side by side. 🤷‍♂️
You mean you took the "flap" off and cooked it separately?

Rich, you answered another question I was going to pose. Pull the upper flap back, toss a little of the rub in there then tie it up. Bingo!. It will be simple rub anyway. Meat, Smoke Pepper and Salt. And as my late mom used to say in her very heavy Italian/Chicago accent "and dats it"

You mean you took the "flap" off and cooked it separately?

Rich, you answered another question I was going to pose. Pull the upper flap back, toss a little of the rub in there then tie it up. Bingo!. It will be simple rub anyway. Meat, Smoke Pepper and Salt. And as my late mom used to say in her very heavy Italian/Chicago accent "and dats it"
The ones I’ve gotten from Costco were in 2 pieces when I opened them. Several have been that way. 🤷‍♂️.

The ones I’ve gotten from Costco were in 2 pieces when I opened them. Several have been that way. 🤷‍♂️.
Oh, this is only my second time buying from Costco. Other times I bought bone in from Sam's. But due to reasons of time I think a boneless will cook a bit faster and then be easier for me to handle once off, so I bought the boneless ones

Well whoever boned these out, really did a sloppy job. Gonna have my work cut out for me to make these "whole"

I've had some sloppy boneless cuts. I just roll with it.

I don't bother tying. I just plop them on the smoker and fold in the loose floppy parts.

^^^^ This ^^^^
You can beat it with a bat far a couple hours and it will still turn out great in my opinion.
Tuck the cut side down on the bottom and everything cooks normally.
But one day I did cook a boneless costco shoulder and at the same time a bone in from my butcher.
One was considerably better tasting than the other.......................
I never would have thought until it was a side by side.

I’ve trimmed up the ones from Costco before square them up some. You can cook the scrap pieces like CSRs that same day or at a later time. They r just use them as a Chef’s treat.

I've never had smoked Customer Support Rep before. But I guess since in Cannibal language the word for other humans is "Long Pig" :D In any case what is CSR?

^^^^ This ^^^^
You can beat it with a bat far a couple hours and it will still turn out great in my opinion.
Tuck the cut side down on the bottom and everything cooks normally.
But one day I did cook a boneless costco shoulder and at the same time a bone in from my butcher.
One was considerably better tasting than the other.......................
I never would have thought until it was a side by side.
Same here.

Well, I tied it up anyway. I seasoned the inside a bit, then tucked in all the "loose bits", tied it all up, applied my binder and it's in on "Super Smoke" in Big Z right now. Two probes in it my Temp Spike and the wired probe from the Z Grill. This way I can control the grill and monitor whether I am on the property or not. It's been on nearly an hour, and soon, I will bump the temp from the 160 Super Smoke up to maybe 245 for the duration. Got a drip pan under it (no water), and not gonna even peek under the hood, until it reaches a little over 200 internal. I'll probe test it then, (I am sure it will be fine), double wrap it (paper, then foil), wrap it in a large towel and into the cooler it will go until time to serve. Hoping for 17:30 serve time

Been paying attention to that 200 mark a lot lately.......
I don't know exacts but there is a certain temperature the fat starts rendering....I feel it is above the stall temp.
My head tells me that the longer the meat can stay in that state the better the meat will be as it comes closer to the 200 range.
Maybe its just beef....I don't know but I have some experimenting to do.......I watch some people take their briskets to 195 or so and even a tad under and it comes out perfect. I find I can get a more dry product when I stretch it out to 203 or 205.
This is going to be my battles as the spring is just arriving.......just some thoughts.

Oh boy was it ever deeeelish! Pig candy. I pulled it at 195 and rested it about 1 3/4 hours it just fell apart. Great smoke any more or stronger it would taste like an old chest of drawers :D

Back