Black tary residueon my 22.5 WSM lid

Don W (Houston)

TVWBB Member
I used my new 22.5 WSM last weekend for a brisket and then some ribs. I had a black tary substance form on the edges of the lids. Is this from the wood I used? Has anyone else had this. I don't remember ever having it on my 18.5 WSM.

Without pictures it will be hard to tell. Is it possible you are seeing Creosote?

What kind of wood did you use?

Gunk, is all over the inside of my WSMs. Gunk helps the smoker cook better. I only clean it when it gets thick enough to start falling off on it's own.

Bob

Its most likely what we all get from a cook. Its a mix of things from the wood smoke and the food greases and moisture cooking off. It also can be from using too much wood to smoke the food and can impart a bitter taste in the food sometimes. Its probably the ok residue but how much raw wood do you use for smoke during a cook?

I'm 99% sure it is the normal "gunk" we all get when we cook. In fact it can be a good thing to help seal up the cooker and prevent those bothersome leaks. You will eventually get some "gunk" inside the lid that will want to flake off. When that happens,
take a piece of balled up aluminum foil and scrape out the inside of the lid and if you have access to a power washer give it a shot to clean the inside of the lid. I usually do mine in the early spring and it's good to go for the remainder of
the year.

I used a lot of wood. I can't say it was 3 of 4 pieces but in fact maybe 10. Sounds like all the suggestions had a part to play. I was running out of lump so I added extra wood. Thanks for the feedback.

Like I told you on your other thread, Don, the wood is for the smoke, not for fuel. Sounds to me like you used way too much wood, and that exhaust vent is only so big! Less is more, man.

Yeah I will not do that again Dave. I had already done it that's what sparked the other post. It makes a big mess also. Thanks for the advise.

Gotcha, Don, and I can understand you wanting to use a lot of wood. By the way, especially being from Texas, there are those that will tell you that you can't get the right smoke flavor off a charcoal smoker, and that you need a stickburner that actually burns wood with a flame. However, although I admit that the flavor is different, I think that the number of contests won by folks using charcoal smokers puts that notion to rest.

There are some things that will help you in getting more smoke flavor though, without getting much bad smoke and creosote. I put the rub on ahead of time so the meat will have enough time to start to "sweating" in the fridge, but put the meat on cold. I'm not a food scientist, but I understand that wet and cold meat will take the smoke better. Also, as you probably know, foiling will not only prevent further smoking, but dilute smoke flavor already adsorbed, so if you do, don't do it too early. One other thing that comes to mind is that I don't get near as much smoke flavor when smoking in pans on my bullets, or kettles, for that matter. (I'll leave that to Myron Mixon and his big offset.) For the wood, I like to use hardwoods like hickory or oak a lot. Although I use fruitwoods and pecan as well, especially with poultry and ribs, the hardwoods smoke a lot longer. I want a gentle wisp of smoke that just keeps on coming from the different wood chunks I have buried in the ring around the perimeter, and not all my wood chunks burning up at once. This one of the cool things about the Minion method. Hope that helps, and don't sweat the bad smoke. Sort of like fishing and hunting, if there was nothing to learn about smoking, it would get boring real quick.

Last edited:
Sorry to leave ya hangin' there, Don! (See my edit.)

Anyway, I'm glad to help. Wish someone would've given me tips on smoking before I started learning. I thought "the more smoke, the better", and my first slabs of ribs off my old offset smoker weren't even edible. True story.

Back