Best ways to add coal to WSM?

MarcusWilliams

TVWBB Member
Do you need to remove the entire middle section to add coal? It seems the side door is too small for this. The middle section may be hot and heavy with a water bowl full of hot and greasy liquid. Not a good way to do it. Any ideas?

I take off the door and use a small shovel (my wife also uses it for potting) to add unlit to charcoal ring. you can only add 5 or so at a time, but it still only takes a few seconds to add enough to prolong the cooks.

some people (I need to as well) put a handle on the top of the middle vessel.. Lift and add charcoal.. But as of now, I just open door and pour.. Usually most are covered in foil so no worries of dust

I take off the door and use a small shovel (my wife also uses it for potting) to add unlit to charcoal ring. you can only add 5 or so at a time, but it still only takes a few seconds to add enough to prolong the cooks.

How about the far side of the ring? Water bowl seems to be in the way, or do you only add to the side near the door?

some people (I need to as well) put a handle on the top of the middle vessel.. Lift and add charcoal.. But as of now, I just open door and pour.. Usually most are covered in foil so no worries of dust

You mean the food is covered with foil?

After a failed attempt of using the door as a ramp/shoot (thankfully over concrete), I ended up reaching for my wifes gardening shovel like Matt H did.

Owning a 22", I'm not sure I would even want to attempt to lift the middle/upper section off even if it did have handles.(maybe w/o water, but even then, I'd shy away from it.)

How about the far side of the ring? Water bowl seems to be in the way, or do you only add to the side near the door?

I try to shove it as far over as possible, but yes the far other side doesn't get much. I don't think it matters though. i'll sometimes give the ring a shake too to get rid of some of the ash and make the coals more compact.

After a failed attempt of using the door as a ramp/shoot (thankfully over concrete), I ended up reaching for my wifes gardening shovel like Matt H did.

Owning a 22", I'm not sure I would even want to attempt to lift the middle/upper section off even if it did have handles.(maybe w/o water, but even then, I'd shy away from it.)

The center section + lid on a 22" that's filled with food and water bowl could easily weigh 50lbs+. Makes the "hot squat" a little precarious, for sure... one of the reasons I go heavy on charcoal for long cooks. I'd rather have too much fuel and be able to snuff it out after the cook and reuse the coals in my kettle, than try to add new fuel during the cook. Personal preference...

Last edited:
I cut one side off a piece of square tube & use it as a "coal chute".
However, I don't use a water pan (have a rimmed 1/4" steel plate instead) so there is more room to add coals, either "hot or cold".
It's a whole lot less hassle to use plenty of charcoal begin with.

I side with Chris. I haven't had to refill charcoal as yet during any of my cooks and i load the ring with what I think will be enough to last throughout the cook. I've been fortunate to not have a lot let over.

I use a folding camp shovel. I can get most of the way across on my 22", about to the middle on my 18", it's too big to go through the opening of my 14"

I use a disposable alum pan. I fashion a funnel on one end, place the charcoal I want to add in it, remove the access door, and pour the charcoal in. I use tongs to spread the coal right where I want it. (All done with heavy leather gloves on my hands)

The access door is the best feature of the WSM IMHO.

With the newer (2009+?) deep water bowl, it can be tricky. I use a Brinkmann charcoal pan instead and there's plenty of clearance to replenish the coals. I use an aluminum scoop like the kind bakeries use for flour & sugar. It'll hold about a dozen briquettes at a time, so I usually just put in one load, wait about a half hour for that to light, then (if needed) add another.

I found an iron fireplace shovel for a buck at a garage sale and use it to add coals.

As a secondary question, do you guys put your additional coals in unlit? And if so do you ever notice any odor on your finished food from the coals? I usually light mine first but it would be convenient to add them unlit.

I use the door as a chute... I turn the handle, tilt it back a bit... and just empty my chimney starter onto the door... and voila! Instant slide.

I found an iron fireplace shovel for a buck at a garage sale and use it to add coals.

As a secondary question, do you guys put your additional coals in unlit? And if so do you ever notice any odor on your finished food from the coals? I usually light mine first but it would be convenient to add them unlit.

Always put them in unlit. Obviously this requires the fire to not be almost dead. I've never noticed an odor. Really isn't different than doing the minion method

Back