Best Minion Method

Anybody light wood chunks along with briquettes in the chimney for a Minion light? Since the wood chunks are black and smoldering when you dump the lit on top of the unlit, you get a cleaner, lighter smoke at the beginning of the cook.

Anybody light wood chunks along with briquettes in the chimney for a Minion light? Since the wood chunks are black and smoldering when you dump the lit on top of the unlit, you get a cleaner, lighter smoke at the beginning of the cook.

First thing I put in my chimney starter is one good-sized wood chunk and then fill in charcoal around it. I don't know if it helps or not. My sense is that it helps me get cooking just a little bit faster.

For low and slow cooks I use the coffee can method with the can in the middle. Love the idea of placing the can by one of the vents and will try it next time.

For high heat cooks I dump the hot coals all over the top and then mix them in before putting the smoker back together.

I went to school with Konrad Haskins and he was pretty clear not to use any KBB until it was lit and no longer putting off white smoke. He said the smoke has a bitter taste. I have read Harry Soo who uses the Minion method. Who is right?

I went to school with Konrad Haskins and he was pretty clear not to use any KBB until it was lit and no longer putting off white smoke. He said the smoke has a bitter taste. I have read Harry Soo who uses the Minion method. Who is right?

That was a concern of mine also. I don't notice any off taste from the unlit coals but my wife does when I use the minion. I used all lit this weekend when I cooked a turkey and the coals lasted a long time with the vents fully open and at 325 degrees so I may use this method for cooks of 3-4 hours. Harry Soo wins comps so the minion must work well.

The answer is simple. If you notice an off taste with KBB using the MM, use a different brand. Some people do and some don't. There's no right or wrong
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html

Last edited:
You can also get the cooker temperature stable for about an hour or so and once the coal bed is heated up the white smoke from the KBB goes away.
The offset smoker boys preheat the wood on top of the fire box to minimize the white smoke, no reason the WSM can't do the same thing if you think the white smoke is bothersome.
During the cooker preheat put your smoking wood on the top grate on a foil sheet so it's easy to handle.
When the briquette smoke goes away, pop the lid, grab the smoke wood, throw the meat in, put the lid back on, put the wood chunks in through the door.
The food gets the minimum amount of white smoke.

You can also get the cooker temperature stable for about an hour or so and once the coal bed is heated up the white smoke from the KBB goes away.
The offset smoker boys preheat the wood on top of the fire box to minimize the white smoke, no reason the WSM can't do the same thing if you think the white smoke is bothersome.
During the cooker preheat put your smoking wood on the top grate on a foil sheet so it's easy to handle.
When the briquette smoke goes away, pop the lid, grab the smoke wood, throw the meat in, put the lid back on, put the wood chunks in through the door.
The food gets the minimum amount of white smoke.
That's why I bury my wood chunks in the unlit charcoal. As the coals start to light it's warming the wood prior to their actual burning.

...from the horse's mouth:

I just starts a few coals in a chimney and dump it on top.
Dwain, how many coals are dumping on top to get a 250 degree temp? I think I'm dumping too many coals and my cooker is starting too hot and it's difficult to keep under control.

I use about 8-12 fully engulfed briquettes on the top of unlit in the middle. I used to use the coffee can method but got lazy. Also I raised my charcoal grate above the vents. The air will come up from underneath the coals rather than from the sides. I get better control and a better burn that way. I leave the bottom vents open and adjust the top vent accordingly.

Forgot to add I have a 22" WSM

Scott,

How are you lighting your wood chunks? Are you putting all your chunks on the wood in the middle or burying it in the unlit?

Back