Best dishwasher under $1,000.00

blah blah blah Wine Desk

sounds more interesting than the DW.

Will you be studying wine? tell me more.
I was shorter than writing out ”Repurposing the old kitchen cabinet with a plywood top covered in what might translate to thousands of dollars in old wine corks and putting a bamboo 12 bottle rack on top and filling the bottom with some of the myriad wine glasses and barware which isn’t used daily.”
Crap, I guess I should have just written it out in the first place.😤

9CA5FA21-B1C2-49D2-B960-73E099243F37.jpeg
Thats the ”dry fitted” top this morning, went out for glue and now, it’s out setting up. Sent this pic to a close friend and he asked if I was going to cut a glass top for it which got me thinking about some of the “stuff” out in the garage (slowly getting cleaner but that’s another story) and I remembered that I’ve got a nice big piece of 3/16“ float crystal that I rescued which should be easy enough to cut down and seam the edges. This project is actually going really fast! Casters will go on the cabinet tomorrow. Then I’ll cut the glass and fit that.painting will happen when I get the paint out for the pantry trim, good “Cabinet Coat” white, three coats.
I stopped to check on delivery status on the dishwasher, new orders are 3 months out, I dropped my teeth! checked my order status and it’s looking like it should be here on the 27th! Not quite as soon as I’d like but, it sure isn’t anywhere as frustrating as three months would be!
Edit-the interior size of the frame is 24x30 just for reference. I might make a 3 sided frame to recess the glass top but, that’s yet to be manufactured, which means another trip to my buddy’s shop. Maybe I should felt the lip that the glass will sit on, that would be prettier than the plywood edge. Damn, I just keep making more silly projects for myself!

Last edited:
I found some stock from a previous project that was pre primed so, I ripped that down and built the sides to just accommodate the glass. Getting the four foot piece of plate out of the back corner of the garage was fun but, even though I had not cut anything like that in along time, I didn’t screw it up! So, since I don’t have my butcher block back yet it’s going to serve as counter for a little while.BD66B764-21C3-433C-80EB-D2DD0CF63FCD.jpeg
Good enough for my needs.

The cabinet is finished, just put two coats of “CabinetCoat” white on it, and three on the back of the block top as moisture barrier per my cabinetmaker‘s instructions and, that might go in next week! This is coming together, I now see that the “Under $1,000” concept was somewhat unrealistic! I’ll have almost that much in the ancillary expenses not including the softener! This will probably end up nearer $2,500-$3,000 when it’s all said and done but, I will have a complete kitchen! With a “Wine Desk” to boot! I need to install the wheels on the wine desk still but, that should be quick. Bosch is still about two weeks out but, the light at the end of the tunnel does not seem to be an oncoming train!
I have the best wife in the world!

Cabinet installed!61D7017D-4F88-4769-BCBB-463EB138862C.jpeg
”Wine Desk” mostly done.
BF342BCF-1532-41F0-94B1-173AE1A6B4AB.jpeg
Glasses are in the mandarin orange boxes. I’m moving my “Johnny Walker Blue” down there soon and will shift some of the Glencairn glasses down as well.

Thanks Larry, most of this is YOUR fault! Stepped up the next level on the dishwasher, custom (albeit simple) cabinet, repair and, modification of the butcher block, softener, related electrical projects, machine still slated for next Friday delivery then, the plumber headache Followed by the bill.
I'm getting pretty excited about seeing this come to fruition, cannot be done soon enough!

I hope you enjoy it. I think you will. You will also enjoy not wasting soap and getting cleaner washes now

If I’m not completely satisfied I’m bringing my mixer for you to go through, a ball of cotton twine so I can give you(maybe) a few trussing tips and you get to give me a few tips on GOOD Italian recipes!
😁
Oh, and adult beverages!
Edit…
I trust you have a guest room!?

Last edited:
This project keeps getting crazier and crazier! I thought I’d stop in and see if we were still on track for the delivery on the 27th…”Well, it looks like it might be another 11 weeks.”
NO, NO, NO, what can you do?
short version is they are”upgrading” me to an 800 series from the 300 for the same money! “All I’d have to do is call the service center and transfer the service plan.“
So, I get home spend twenty minutes trying to get a human to help me and I end up talking to someone in Guatemala or Maylay peninsula who finally says that “I cannot do that from here.” Back to Lowes, the guy that has been the face of the project had just gone to lunch! I end up talking with the department manager who listened, scratched her head and, said, “I can fix this, just a minute.” She pulls up all the hoo haw and we head up to the return desk, she bumps around and gets the whole thing sorted out and I get another $1.20 back!
Now delivery on this “In stock” item is for 11-4-2022! I’m crossing my fingers on this whole damned deal now!

This project keeps getting crazier and crazier! I thought I’d stop in and see if we were still on track for the delivery on the 27th…”Well, it looks like it might be another 11 weeks.”
NO, NO, NO, what can you do?
short version is they are”upgrading” me to an 800 series from the 300 for the same money! “All I’d have to do is call the service center and transfer the service plan.“
So, I get home spend twenty minutes trying to get a human to help me and I end up talking to someone in Guatemala or Maylay peninsula who finally says that “I cannot do that from here.” Back to Lowes, the guy that has been the face of the project had just gone to lunch! I end up talking with the department manager who listened, scratched her head and, said, “I can fix this, just a minute.” She pulls up all the hoo haw and we head up to the return desk, she bumps around and gets the whole thing sorted out and I get another $1.20 back!
Now delivery on this “In stock” item is for 11-4-2022! I’m crossing my fingers on this whole damned deal now!
we have the 800 series, model SHXM88Z75N and absolove it. hope you enjoy your new upgrade!

”Well, it looks like it might be another 11 weeks.”
I am getting *SO* tired of hearing that <BEEEEEEEEEEEP>.

I've been in a dust-up with my employer's health plan mandated mail order pharmacy, and their utter failure on delivering a common prescription item. They've cancelled not one, but two orders now, claiming they're out of stock, and yet, nobody else has problems getting it. To cut to the end, they've gotten an earful from both myself as well as HR that this needs to be fixed. My next option is to complain through HR [again,] as well as complaining to the state pharmacy board. I WILL WIN.

I am getting *SO* tired of hearing that <BEEEEEEEEEEEP>.

I've been in a dust-up with my employer's health plan mandated mail order pharmacy, and their utter failure on delivering a common prescription item. They've cancelled not one, but two orders now, claiming they're out of stock, and yet, nobody else has problems getting it. To cut to the end, they've gotten an earful from both myself as well as HR that this needs to be fixed. My next option is to complain through HR [again,] as well as complaining to the state pharmacy board. I WILL WIN.
I get that frustration! I’m trying to figure out some way to get Ozempic after we lose my wife’s insurance, what a maddening fight this is going to me!

Now, on a lighter note, I was able to find a piece of white vInyl baseboard material and have glued that on the “visual side“ of the cabinet and now that looks much more tidy!
I have simply got to just enjoy the little success’s! One was the nice guy that backed up to let me in one of the busiest streets in Kalamazoo! I hope he wins some lottery funds so he can replace his truck (if he wants to).

Every coffee place runs an RO system. I have been using RO and / distilled water since I was a teen. Never need to descale the coffee maker. I check ours often with a Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) meter. From the county we are at 150+PPM and after RO <=8. That means we are getting very pure water. The key is you need to have a carbon filter after the RO or distiller for the taste. Our tap water hear smells like a swimming pool. With the RO it is gone. We are having a whole house carbon block filter installed next week so we don't have to smell the chlorine in the shower.

I get that frustration! I’m trying to figure out some way to get Ozempic after we lose my wife’s insurance, what a maddening fight this is going to me!

We've found that GoodRx can often be much cheaper than using our relatively good insurance. We'll usually ask the pharmacy to check their price before we pay using the insurance. No cost to use. https://www.goodrx.com/

Another one I've heard about but haven't checked out yet is Mark Cuban's Cost Plus Drugs. https://costplusdrugs.com

Back