Best chicken seasoning....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Rine

TVWBB Member
I am doing a couple of butterflied chickens this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any seasoning recommendations. I usually let one marinate overnight in italian dressing and then use one of my rubs. Any other suggestions, or rub recipes that you like on chicken?

Store-bought? McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning, with or without a marinade, ain't bad.

My favorite commercially available is Paul Prudhomme's. Failing that, just go with some herbs de provence and you won't be sorry.

Good Luck,

Rick

Hiya Rick
I always brine chickens when roasting or Qing ... I had my doubts, but I did an experiment which I might suggest to you:
Halve the butterflied chicken
Brine one in a solution of 150grams/litre (salt/water)
for flavour add 2 cloves of garlic pureed with salt (back of knife deal) + fresh thyme, also pureed (as best you can).
let the chicken sit in the fridge for ~8 hours
rinse, dry and rub with
paprika + onion powder
This gives a good flavour and colour combo

sauce as you like, I don't, and discard the skin when eating.

wish I could get the skin right... project for future

glad to see your posting

Try a combo of Paul Prudhomme and Old Bay. Very good.
Also try Tony Chachere's Herb Blend.

Or this:
Spice Mix Recipe

1 T. sweet paprika
1 1/4 T salt **
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp whole thyme leaves
3/4 tsp whole basil leaves

***FOR MY RECIPE I ONLY USE 1 HEAPING TSP SALT***

Mix together and store in a lidded jar.

Tough to beat Mojo Criollo for a marinade. I did 2 chickens last weekend with the Goya brand after an overnight marinade and am very happy with the outcome.

Morgan is right on..... Brine those birds. I always do for at least 6 - 8 hours. I cut back some on the salt because I also really like that McCormicks Montreal Chicken Seasoning.

Hey Chris,
If you leave out the lemon pepper,
that's the rub I usually make.
I take the tails of the last rub and add in more
basic ingredients, which I classify as [necessary]
icon_razz.gif
aprika, garlic powder, thyme
then I add in smaller amounts of others: cumin, allspice, onion powder, cayenne ...

For me it's a revolving sorta thing ... it always changes, and each one is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back