Beer Can Duck??

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I was shopping in Wal-mart and I saw that they have frozen ducks in with the frozen chicken and turkeys. I was wondering if anyone had ever smoked a duck, beer can chicken style? Any other tips for smoking a duck?

I have smoked a duckbreast in the WSM but only smoked it for a couple of hours and then finished it on the grill. Carried good smoke flavor to the kettle. I would do it again....not sure how a beer can would work and finish....could be interesting though.

I am not a fan of doing beer can anything but I've smoked or smoked-roasted many a duck. For ones I raise I brine because they are lean but for store-bought I don't bother. I like duck breast medium-rare so I'll smoke a duck for a little while then pull, cut off the breast, return the rest of the duck to the smoker and crank the heat to finish (I like crisp skin). The breast I'll finish on the grill like Clay does.

Domestic duck from the store is quite fatty. Piercing the skin all over prior to smoking will allow the fat to drain during cooking. If I'm smoking the duck to use in something else I don't do this.

Back