BEER BUTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt J

TVWBB Fan
I think I'm gonna do a butt one night this week. I'm working nights (1400-2200) so I'll be home just in time to start it and I'll take it off before I go to work and pull it. Was thinking of soaking it in beer, salt, pepper, and garlic combo for say a day. Let it dry out with #2 rubbed on it for a day and then smoke it as usual. Any thoughts?

Larry,

That sounds good too. Pilsner for the butt....dark beer for me.
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Matt,
I have noticed alot of advertising around here for Guinness, have you noticed that down there? MMmmmmmmmmmmm Guinness!

I love Guiness. Also a big fan of Caffreys's along with a sheppards pie.

I am a HUGE beer fan. Have made some myself but not in a few years. Also collect wine. A friend of mine and I turned a coat closet in my house into a wine closet. We built huge rotating shelves.....worked out well. Also built one section of it to hold smaller bottles like beer. I have many different types in there for the long term. NOT to mention...who needs a coat closet in this part of FL? LOL
icon_cool.gif

Don't know if you'll like this idea but I've had fun thinking about it:

Treat the beer mix as a brine but reserve a cup or so before dumping on the butt. After soaking, rinse the butt, dry it, and apply your rub (you might need to decrease the salt in the rub depending on how much salt is in the brine).

For a sauce:

Slice 3 or 4 large onions and carmelize in unsalted butter till nicely browned. Add 2 clovees minced garlic, cook till fragrant but not brown, about 30 secs. Add a tsp of dry thyme. Push the onions to the side of the pan an add 1/4 c or so of apple juice, a tblsp of mustard, and half of the brine you reserved earlier. Reduce till syrupy then puree and return to pan. Adjust seasoning by adding some of your rub. Adjust comsistency by reducing further or by adding more of your reserved brine.

Kevin,

DUDE...that rocks..........except I'd probably add more garlic. I'm a huge garlic/onion lover...wife isn't so happy about it but hey....she gets over it cuz I can cook
icon_smile.gif

Probably soak or inject it...probably inject since I just recently bought a new injector and haven't tried it out yet. Put on some #2 and then do what you suggested. I don't know that I'd brine it. But I love the idea of the sauce. Eitherway...keep em coming. I love generating new ideas. More the merrier. We can all try slightly different things and then compare notes. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattJ:
.....except I'd probably add more garlic. I'm a huge garlic/onion lover.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So am I; I'd add more too. Or squeeze in a head of roasted garlic when I added the fresh.
icon_razz.gif

Matt,

Sounds pretty good. Interested how many pints/quarts of beer you end up using on lbs of pork. When I brine, I ususally use 1 gallon of water per boneless butt (~ 7.5 lbs), but at times I've needed to up to 1.5 due to size.

Personally, I'd pour the gallon of beer into the Q chef and use water. Or some seriously cheap beer.

Decided to inject it. vice brine with it. Injecting some Guiness into it when I get home tonight....couldn't do the cook during the week so doing two butts tonight and one tomorrow night....

Chugging along now at 232 deg. Butts been on the WSM since 11pm last night. Been cooking for a total of 9 hours. Smaller of the two butts is up to 188 (averaged..took a few measurements) and the other butt is a few deg lower due to it's larger size. Gonna do them up till they hit about 198. I'll zap some pics when I take them off and post them. Thx.

Pork Butt rules. Hey Matt, Try some Ditkas sauce sometime on some of your pulled pork. Pretty good stuff if you dont have homemade.
DP

Dale,

Definately man....Butts are the best.

Where do you get the sauce from?

Just got done wettin down the butts with a bit of beer. OK........so it's like 9:30 in the morning but you can't expect me to just waste the rest of the beer in the bottle right
icon_biggrin.gif
Bottoms up! Dang butts are being stubborn. Got to the upper 180s and dropped to mid 180s. Gotta leave'm alone LOL.

Here's the finallly product from yesterday.

go to the second photo album (pork butts)
The butt on the left (smaller) actually took longer to get up to temp (198) than the other one...by about 30 mins. They both were great...smaller one was a bit dry on one end and the bigger one had a good sized vain of fat in the middle that made a small part a bit mushy, but I mixed the two together and got a good balance. Got some buds coming over in four hours to eat, drink, and watch football
icon_smile.gif

Got the bean in a crock in the WSM with 1 softball size hunk of oak. Seems to give the BBQ beans a good smokey flavor and warms them nicely. Made homemade potato salad...red potatos with skin on. mmmmh. Also made deviled eggs with hot hungarian paprika sprinkled on top. Got my patio fridge stocked with bud light for me amigos (they don't like the same beers I do..works out for me..more good beer for me) and plenty of Hammer Head Red for me. Got a buddy who used to be a brew meister at one of the HOPS restaurants here in Tampa. He now makes his own clone of the HOPS Hammer Head Red and bottles it for private comsumption
icon_smile.gif
and is nice enought to give me a 6pack every few weeks.
icon_smile.gif
hehehe....

To top it off...NO hurricanes coming our way...and the weather is BEEE UUU TIII FULLL...here in Tampa. It's 68deg and sunny. Kids and wifee are at church......so I guess it's time for a dip in da spa
icon_smile.gif

Whats everyone else got going today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back