BBs and a Tri-tip about to go on

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I'm doing my first try at the BRITU recipe and am at the stage where I wait for my smoker do its thing for an hour before I throw my ribs on. I put in a full chimney of lit and about 2/3s chimney of unlit and it's still running high as usual. I checked it after 30 mins and it was at 275 so I did my usual shake of the smoker to spill some water onto the coals to bring the temp down a bit.

It's been an hour now so I guess it's time to check my temp again and throw the ribs on. I'll be throwing on my last tri-tip about 2 hours into the cook.

Sorry but no pics for this cook as the wife took the camera to work as it's her last day at Starbucks (evil incarnate) before she starts her new job. Hopefully things turn out, it's a beautiful day for BBQ!

Also I thought I would mention that I'm doing a batch of Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans and usually I just use a lb. of bacon and omit the pulled pork/sausage, but this time I followed the recipe exactly using only 4 strips of bacon at first and adding a lb. of cooked hot sage sausage. I tasted it this morning and it seems like the sausage completely overpowered everything else. We'll have to see what my buddies say about it!

I'll report back later tonight...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I put in a full chimney of lit and about 2/3s chimney of unlit and it's still running high as usual. I checked it after 30 mins and it was at 275 so I did my usual shake of the smoker to spill some water onto the coals to bring the temp down a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The reason why I never start-up with the Standard Method.

Have a great cook!

Looks like you have the prep of a great meal on the way! I like tri-tips but never smoked them, since I reverse sear mine rare to med rare. Please let us know how the tri-tip came out. Thanks in advance....

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I put in a full chimney of lit and about 2/3s chimney of unlit and it's still running high as usual. I checked it after 30 mins and it was at 275 so I did my usual shake of the smoker to spill some water onto the coals to bring the temp down a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The reason why I never start-up with the Standard Method.

Have a great cook! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 on this. It seems to me that the directions are a bit off when you are really monitoring your temps. Way to much lit fuel in my opinion.

Back