Backyard grill vs. Royal Oak Chefs Select.

Mike Cosgrove

TVWBB Diamond Member
I did a test because I was really curious, I get the chefs select for my low and slow cooks because it burns so long, and when I picked up the backyard grill brand it was the same size so I thought i'd see for sure.
I lit the same amount with starter cube.

The backyard grill is on the right and the Chefs select is on the left.

after a certain amount of time and quite a few beers I've come to the conclusion that its not he same, the chefs select burns a lot more evenly and the BG burns a little less evenly, thanks for looking.

Thanks Mike. Don't see too much of Royal Oaks briquettes out here, at least where I'm at. See their lump but that's about it. I'll be on the lookout for it. Should have thrown on a couple of hot dogs and called it a cook too!

Great test, Mike. Very interesting difference in burn rate. Wish RO Chefs Select was available in our area.
Haven't had any real issues when using the Backyard Grill stuff, other than one time where they just crumbled.
Might be the use of the Stoker causing a more even burn.

Thanks for doing the test. Have never seen the royal oak charcoal here just the lump. will have to keep an eye out for it.

Excellent Mike. I think the Backyard ridges are too big, leaving gaps that while good for air flow are not conducive to really high heat. I might have to conduct some tests too. While drinking beers of course.

Thanks, Mike. I used a store brand last weekend that looks like RO. It smoked a lot at first and I wasn't too impressed. While I'm ok with Stubbs, I'll probably be making another order off doitbest for the RO CHEF SELECT.

A few weeks ago I finally picked up a 40 lb bag of the Chefs Select from my local Restaurant Depot ($16.11) and it is a nice long-burning briquette without the KBB smell. Less ash than KBB too. I think the shape helps allow better airflow between the briquettes too. Pretty sure it can be ordered from do-it-best website for pick up at your local affiliate hardware store as well.

A few weeks ago I finally picked up a 40 lb bag of the Chefs Select from my local Restaurant Depot ($16.11) and it is a nice long-burning briquette without the KBB smell. Less ash than KBB too. I think the shape helps allow better airflow between the briquettes too. Pretty sure it can be ordered from do-it-best website for pick up at your local affiliate hardware store as well.

I wonder why they don't carry it at the Nashville RD.

Back