Automatic Blower system for WSM?

Hi DJ, I did a fair amount of research on blowers and decided on the FlameBoss 400 - though I also considered the BBQ Guru. Cost and performance based on reviews were my criteria for deciding. Also, I have a Weber Connect for monitoring multiple temperatures, so I did not need a blower with that feature. I have absolutely no problem with ash and the blower allows me to keep a consistent temperature the entire duration of my smoke. I have the 18 inch WSM and it performs fabulously with the addition of the FlameBoss 400.
Hi. I just tried my flameboss 400 for the first time on pork butts. Couldn’t see ash on the butts, but once I wrapped them in foil, I could see ash all over the foil at the end. Seemed like the burn was uneven, so at times it was blowing hard: I noticed a bunch of unlit coals on the far end of the fan, which is probably why it blew so hard when temp dropped. I did minion method with hot coals in the middle. Should I try putting the hot coals on the far end from the fan to start? Also, do you need to put water in the pan when using a fan? I’ve been doing it the old fashioned way for years, so water-in-pan was habit for me. Thanks!

While I do not run a Flame Boss, I do have 'some' experience with ATCs, including BBQ ATCs. To keep ash from flying around, consider slowing down the air velocity as it enters the WSM. Using Flame Boss' "Universal Manifold", ie Dog water/food dish, would accomplish this task well. In fact, a somewhat larger dog dish is what I have used on my 22 WSM since 2011. Starting with Rocks BBQ "Stoker" ATC, then Thermoworks "Billows and Signals" ATC.

Also about Jim Minion's method - basically it's everything EXCEPT bottom up (firing direction). As such, one could spread those lit coals over top the unlit. If there is any uneven burning, you could start by varying the amount of lit coal placement to even said unevenness...

Hope that helps.

When using an ATC, I start with more lit coals and spread the coals around the top of the pile. Because the ATC is going to control the fire, you don't need the tight/small fire configuration of the classic Minion in order to control the burn. I find that the blower is better able to adjust the temp up/down when blowing on more lit coals scattered around the pile.

The coals closest to the fan will burn first, so it is typical for the coals furthest from the fan to burn last or go unburned. No big deal. At some point during a long cook, I will rake the remaining coals into a pile closer to the fan to get them burning more. Raking also knocks off the ash. I've never noticed or cared about whether raking stirs ashes that might find their way onto the food.

If I add unlit coals during the cook, I rake the unlit into the pile closest to the blower. Just like when using a billows in a fireplace, the fire picks up where the air is blowing.

When using the ATC , you no longer need the water pan to act as a heat brake. Since the blower will control the fire/temp, you don't "need" any water at all. If you do want to use water, it would be for moisture only (and not temp control). Given that, you can probably use a smaller amounts of water than when using the water to control temp. Or just use water for the first part of the cook. You can also add moisture by spritzing.

When using ATC I just pour the coals out evenly on top.

I won't comment much on the water other than to say it can be useful to keep the environment humid. But honestly that depends on where you live somewhat as well. If you live in a humid area it's probably not needed as much as if you live in a really dry area. Many people don't use water at all, and are content.

If you're blowing Ash, after initial heat up you might need to limit your blowers speed, block off part of the air flow, , or adjust your tuning so it doesn't doesn't overshoot as bad. Monitor the smoker and if control is poor, take steps to fix it. Blowers that cycle big will result in both bad smoke and Ash. It needs to be steady.

Hi. I just tried my flameboss 400 for the first time on pork butts. Couldn’t see ash on the butts, but once I wrapped them in foil, I could see ash all over the foil at the end. Seemed like the burn was uneven, so at times it was blowing hard: I noticed a bunch of unlit coals on the far end of the fan, which is probably why it blew so hard when temp dropped. I did minion method with hot coals in the middle. Should I try putting the hot coals on the far end from the fan to start? Also, do you neegd to put water in the pan when using a fan? I’ve been doing it the old fashioned way for years, so water-in-pan was habit for me. Thanks!
Hi Kai, it may have to do with how you are loading your lit coals and/or how open you have the vents. I use a small coal can to light about 15 coals. In my WSM coal ring I fully load (usually over-load) the ring, then I make a hole in the middle of the coals. I then dump the lit coals into that hole and then cover the lit coals with unlit coals. Yes I do place water in the bowl that sits above the coals. Lastly, and importantly, all of the air vents are closed with the exception of the vent on the lid - that vent should be no more than about 20% open, maybe even slightly less. I have no problem with my flameboss causing ash to be blown around nor do I find that I have an uneven burning of coals. I wonder if you have the top vent open to much and it is contributing to an excessive flow of air. As far as blower speed goes, I have never looked into whether the blower speed can be manipulated, and have never needed to. Would love to hear back if any of this helps.

I've had an Auber for several years. You can be little more technical but it works great out of the box. You just need to remember to close off the lid vent. Maintains temp pretty well.

Back