Automatic Blower system for WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TB Domenz:
anyone have experience with a WSM with an added blower system?
Tom in 60193 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost every thread in this forum is about someone using a WSM with a blower system of some kind. Anything specific you want to know?

joe

I am frustrated with not being able to maintain a contant temp for a length of time in my WSM so I'm snoopin around for answers. The blower deal may not be the right answer but I'm curious.

We need more information to help you out.

What kind of burn are you doing? In other words, how do you set up the fuel, how do you light it, etc. Are you using the Minion method?

How old is your WSM? Newer ones can sometimes run hot, or be a little more difficult to handle.

Is your problem that you can't keep the temp from rising, or is it because the temp fluctuates?

What temperature are you trying to maintain?

An ATC can help, but you shouldn't have huge problems with temp control with the WSM unless something is wrong...air gaps around the door, out-of-round (parts don't fit snug) or leaks somewhere else.

James

As noted above, the WSM is pretty easy to dial in temps with. If you're having issues, an ATC may not be the answer. It may be user error or equipment failure.
I bought my ATC after 18 mths of trial and error for overnighters but I don't "need" it for a successful cook (just a few hours sleep).
Also noted, this thread is all about blower/ATC equipment. Most posts are more technical in nature but more traditional questions are addressed as well.
Russell noted the main players above. Have a read but try and get your manual use under control before thinking about purchasing a crutch for the sake of a crutch.
If you really want ease, you can drop thousands on a rig that does everything for you
icon_smile.gif

I have a 22.5" WSM. I just finished my first pork rib smoke with my Pitmaster 110. It worked perfectly and maintained the temperature much better than I can without it.Literally was set it and forget it. Next up Brisket!

Tom,

I've been using a BBQ Guru DigiQ-2 model and 10cfm blower for 3 years now. I would never even consider going back to no power draft system on a pit now. IMO, it's worth every penny.

On an overnight shoulder cook on my old model 18.5" WSM, I don't have to do anything as far as temp control. I've done it so many times now using the Guru, I know when I need to add coals to get me through the end of the cook (I was using a water pan, so it does take a little more fuel than without). Other than that, I normally don't have to touch anything and it's as close to set and forget as you will ever get in smoking.

I did not care about networking so I went with a DIGIQ-2, but no matter which brand/model you go with they all do the same thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Ward:
I've been using a BBQ Guru DigiQ-2 model and 10cfm blower for 3 years now.
On an overnight shoulder cook on my old model 18.5" WSM, I don't have to do anything as far as temp control. I've done it so many times now using the Guru, I know when I need to add coals to get me through the end of the cook (I was using a water pan, so it does take a little more fuel than without).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave what's your initial setup? Coals placement? Wood placement? Amts? etc.
Also where can I find the initial recommended settup for the WSM w/o blower.
Thanks
Tom

I start with a full ring of unlit Kingsford blue. I pull 1/2 chimney of unlit and light it, then add it back to the charcoal ring in the center. I set up the WSM and get the temp up to 225 (my usual BBQ temp) before turning on my Auber ATC. When I get the temp up I close all vents and let the Auber run things. This has worked very well for me.

Hi to all:

I'm new here and have a WSM 22" smoker, which I like very much. I've had some issues on occasion with temp fluctuation (mostly the temp drops and I can't get it back up--I use lump charcoal as fuel), and am considering a blower system to help me keep the temp steady. One question I have is do any of you with blowers have any problem with ash drifting around inside the smoker and settling on the meat during a cook? This would be a negative issue for me if that were the case.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your considerable knowledge with those of us trying to learn how to be the best BBQers we can!

An ATC is a nice to have, not a gotta have. WSMs can run pretty stable stand alone. And for a pork butt, any temp from 225-325F is basically fine.

An ATC just frees up your brain and attention a bit more during a long cook. After learning how to manually control the cooker, I personally no longer get any no joy/thrill from being able to manage the fire manually over a long period of time. Definitely makes for better sleep on an overnight cook.

And makes the start up simpler too. You don't have to sweat the Minon details, since the fan controls for that. Fill the chamber full with unlit, 3/4 of a chimney sprinked over the top, done for the next 8-14 hours.

I have a Billows/Smoke X. Don't notice the ash. You can get a damper that supposedly reduces the wind force to help with ash and finer control.

Last edited:
An ATC is a nice to have, not a gotta have. WSMs can run pretty stable stand alone. And for a pork butt, any temp from 225-325F is basically fine.

An ATC just frees up your brain and attention a bit more during a long cook. After learning how to manually control the cooker, I personally no longer get any no joy/thrill from being able to manage the fire manually over a long period of time. Definitely makes for better sleep on an overnight cook.

And makes the start up simpler too. You don't have to sweat the Minon details, since the fan controls for that. Fill the chamber full with unlit, 3/4 of a chimney sprinked over the top, done for the next 8-14 hours.
Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated!

I use nothing, fill the ring as full as possible, stick a torch in the hatch, light the side nearest the hatch for maybe three minutes, button it up and generally go to bed. My18 WSM is well seasoned and I don’t often have a lot of trouble, now and then yes but not often. Everyone wants something different and has their own method for getting there. I like the “less is more” approach. I told that the 22” is much more touchy to get to temp. No first hand knowledge on that score.

If your control is poor, I.e your blower comes on strong... Or is oversized to start with.... Yeah you can blow some ash all over the place inside there. I've never noticed it on the food because you don't see it but I have seen it on the grates when the blower came on high because the temperature control was poor.

Now, having your blower in one side of the WSM has some drawbacks. You have a lot of air that bypasses the coal's completely so the blower tends to have to come on strong. And when it does sometimes it will actually cool it off until the fire catches again and then it overshoots.

So again, with the blower control is everything.
I have a feed pipe now which introduces my air below the coals evenly... And temperature control is great but the blower barely runs.. I mean if my blower kicks on at 30%,
Damper opening... That's where it runs 30 to 32%, just barely running.

This too has some drawbacks in the quality of your smoke. Believe it or not, the amount of air flow is important to the quality of your smoke. With my current blower feed pipe arrangement I don't get much.... I have to use way more wood than I used to and I still don't get much.

The total air flow matters for the fire and smoke. It's not just about controlling the temperature.

ATC and blower/damper what great to control temperature... Set it and forget it from the time you light it. I can make changes from my phone lying in bed.

Hi to all:

I'm new here and have a WSM 22" smoker, which I like very much. I've had some issues on occasion with temp fluctuation (mostly the temp drops and I can't get it back up--I use lump charcoal as fuel), and am considering a blower system to help me keep the temp steady. One question I have is do any of you with blowers have any problem with ash drifting around inside the smoker and settling on the meat during a cook? This would be a negative issue for me if that were the case.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your considerable knowledge with those of us trying to learn how to be the best BBQers we can!
Hi DJ, I did a fair amount of research on blowers and decided on the FlameBoss 400 - though I also considered the BBQ Guru. Cost and performance based on reviews were my criteria for deciding. Also, I have a Weber Connect for monitoring multiple temperatures, so I did not need a blower with that feature. I have absolutely no problem with ash and the blower allows me to keep a consistent temperature the entire duration of my smoke. I have the 18 inch WSM and it performs fabulously with the addition of the FlameBoss 400.

Back