Auber Queston

Mac

TVWBB Guru
For those who own run Auber ATC on a WSM.
Where do set the top vents? Thanks in advance.

I set the top vent at 50%, I found that leaving it 100% open causes the temps to overshoot when not using water, when I use water I can set it at 100%. For my last cook I did a 9 lb butt at 250 degrees. It took me 16.5 hours and I still had K left in the ring, I started with a full ring and no water with a clay saucer. For my second to last cook I began playing with the vents because of the overshoots, that when I realized that 50% open worked best for me.

Out of curiosity:

Why would you have to close down the top vent to maintain the temp? Does the fan allow air through when not running? Do you get an overshoot as the controller brings the temp up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.J. Crocker:
Out of curiosity:

Why would you have to close down the top vent to maintain the temp? Does the fan allow air through when not running? Do you get an overshoot as the controller brings the temp up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For some reason it runs hot without water, after I fiddled with it it worked, and its worked several times for me without any problems. With water I can leave it open 100%. I must have a leak somewhere, based on the fact that I am able to control it, it does not bother me. I've done 16-20 hours cooks without water on one ring. I do not get an overshoot, the fan has a gravity controlled door that prevents air to go through freely and keeps the fan from melting.

the biggest problem I have with the auber (and its not a actually the auber's fault) is that I can't get temps to go down. I'm running a couple of butts as I type and the fan hasn't run in 40 min and temps went from 210-280 in that period. I anticipated this and made a foil gasket to seal the center to the bottom bowl.

I'm closing down my top vent to see if that will help.

I have found that I must close the top vent almost completely to maintain consistent temps. I have it set to simple on/off with a 3 degree tolerance. I only get a 5-6 degree overshoot.

On my 22.5 the vent is set at 3/4. On one of my 18.5 it is at 1/2, the other one its closer to 1/4. I think it has to do with how leaky the WSM is.

(all mesurements are the amount open.)

Back