are wsm-ers' lazy as I

doug gillis

TVWBB Fan
I will say that I get lazy after smoking sessions and kind of just leave wsm the way it is after the smoke. I don't empty the spent charcoal,clean water pan, etc until the next time I get ready to use it. I guess it would be such a joy to start out with a clean smoker then have to clean and prepare before your next smoke! I got off work eary tonight and went ahead and did that- just can't wait to get it all dirty again! I may actually be able to install the cover for 2-3 days here! I haven't had much practice in installing the included cover!!!

My only suggestion would be, don't leave the WSM uncleaned if there is any water inside. Mine grew a thick coat of mold once because I left it closed up that way - I don't recall if I left water in the pan, or if some water had got inside due to rain. Either way, it was a pain to have to clean out all the white fuzzy stuff.
icon_frown.gif

I'm also guilty on many occasions. As Larry says, the best idea is to get it clean before it gets too funky. I do try to at least get the water pan out once the smoker cools down - it has the greatest potential for nastiness.

I'm retired therefore usually I clean up the smoker in the next day or two. it is nice to have a cleaned up smoker, when you are getting ready for your next cook. John

I throw the grates on the Performer so I just cook the crap off when I use that one next time.

Other than that, I usually don't do anything. I have the pan foiled on the inside too, so it's easy to clean up.

yup. I'm just as lazy or lazier than thou. As soon as it's done cooking, I close up the vents and then only the next time I use it, will I clean it out. sometimes not for months.

Same here. Close it down and see ya later. I do not use water though and I do think that would make a difference. I also store mine in the garage so I guess I shut it down, let the fire go out, move it to the garage, then see ya.

Call me strange, but I usually clean mine the next day. I refoil the saucer and/or pan if necessary. I bag up any unspent fuel for the next smoke. I like having the WSM clean and ready to go so I can throw some meat on in a moments notice.

Yeah, I am retired and a little on the lazy side lately, but I have learned to clean most of the WSM up after it's cooled. If I let it go our two German Shepherds will clean it. They just love licking the grease out of the foiled dry water pan. They have knocked the WSM down on two occasions, but no damage was found. I have to watch them like a hawk when the WSM is working.

I fall on the lazy side too. Other than dumping the water pan and ash, is there any other cleaing necessary?

I usually clean mine the next day,but two cooks ago was on a sunday. Monday was work,then tuesday and so on. So last week when I went to BBQ some chickens,imagine my surprise when I pulled off the cover and OH CRAP. I think it was mad at me,because I wound up having to do the chickens on the gasser! Needless to say,it won't be that long before I clean it next time!!

If by lazy you mean that I'm considering buying a kettle just to cook off the grates rather then scrubbing them!! haha

I too fall into the lazy group. Just this morning I cleaned out last weekends mess (8 big racks of Back Ribs).

I usually get the racks to let them cool down overnight. Usually try to get to it within the next day or so, since moisture and ashes makes a corrosive mix that accelerates oxidation of anything that it comes in contact with such as bottom bowls and fuel grates.

So definitely not the same day - after all you need to let everything cool down and burn out.

Gotta say I like it when everything is clean and prepped when I start a cook. But sometimes that simply isn't the case if there are back to back cooks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I usually get the racks to let them cool down overnight. Usually try to get to it within the next day or so, since moisture and ashes makes a corrosive mix that accelerates oxidation of anything that it comes in contact with such as bottom bowls and fuel grates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Didn't know that, thanks.

Glad its not just me. My issue is after I take the food off, the last thing I`m thinking about is cleaning the WSM. Pork shoulder takes some time to prep before serving and so do my ribs so I`m not really guilty of laziness, its just that the food takes priority. I went away for two weeks and came back and realized the smoker was never cleaned. Yikes! I smoke about once a week so its usually not a big deal but I did notice the other day that some of the enamel is coming off the inside of the smoker right above the water pan.

If I keep up this practice, I may have to get the new WSM in December!

I usually give the grates a quick brush while it is still hot and that really makes it easier to clean up later. One note with the clay saucer and foil. As soon as it has cooled down (the next day) get that foil with all the grease dripping out and throw it away. I have made the mistake of leaving it in (yes I am lazy too) and it will eat up the foil and then you have to clean a nasty clay saucer.

Grates go into the oven on 'clean', grease pan, er water pan gets dumped out and hit with the hose, and ash sludge usually gets dumped out right before cook. (It has rained enough to have this.

I tried out my cover for the first time last night, I hope this keeps out the rain.

This all tends to happen days after I cook.

Scott <-- way lazy on the WSM...

My biggest motivator to clean is the "ash sludge." Yuck! Unless I get the cooker cleaned and covered, I'm guaranteed that sloppy awful mess.

I like the idea of giving the grates a brusing while hot. I'll try that. Thanks.

Back