Any silver and/or gold collectors out there?

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Recently knocked the dust off my coin collection I had as a kid. Luckily my grandpa got me into collecting some silver dollars and older coins with actual silver in them. Not a huge collection, but brings back some good memories with him.

Been reading up last few weeks on silver bullion.

Any of you guys or gals collect coins or invest in physical silver or gold coins/bars?

Last edited:
I had coin collections, some stamps, and my grandfathers cigar bands. Toted them around for about 40 years and then sold them all and they were not worth much more than I got them for. I don't collect anything anymore as I don't want my family to have to deal with the stuff if I kick off.

I had coin collections, some stamps, and my grandfathers cigar bands. Toted them around for about 40 years and then sold them all and they were not worth much more than I got them for. I don't collect anything anymore as I don't want my family to have to deal with the stuff if I kick off.

I looked up a few of the old silver dollars and they are worth quite a bit. I don't need the money so I'm going to hang on to them. I'm sure when my kids are my age they will be worth even more.

Can't speak for the guys but yes an yes for me.

I didn't mean "guys" as in males only. Sorry about that.

Do you actively buy more? Or are you just hanging on to the stuff you already have?

I've searched around and it seems that a lot of online "mints" and bullion sellers mark up the silver rounds about 15-20% or more based on the spot price of silver. Even more of a markup for actual currency like US silver dollars.

I'll try to post some pictures of some of the coins I have, that were given to me by my grandpa. I know a few of the silver dollars are from the 90s, which isn't that old, but they are in nice cases with "proof" plastic cases and certificate of authenticity on them. Searching very briefly shows it might be worth over $150. Which I know we didn't pay that much for it back in 1993.
Also have some "Peace" silver dollars from the 20s. And some buffalo nickels from, I think all the way back to the 1910s. A few of the coins even have a date in the 1800s, which I had totally forgotten about.
I'm going to make a log and try to determine some sort of rough estimate on today's value.

Anyone have a source they trust for valuing coins? Not looking to sell them, just get an idea.

Unfortunately what you see they are worth is probably not what you are going to get. Same with jewelry. eBay is your best bet of what something may actually be worth. I had proof mint sets from my childhood. Money would have been better invested in a savings account.

Unfortunately what you see they are worth is probably not what you are going to get. Same with jewelry. eBay is your best bet of what something may actually be worth. I had proof mint sets from my childhood. Money would have been better invested in a savings account.

When you sold your coin collection, you didn't sell it to a pawn shop, did you?

No, but we did stop by some pawn shops to get prices. Sold some to a reputable retail store in Vienna VA. But got the most on eBay. Searched for the closest match that sold, and set the price a little higher, and gradually lowered until I got offers or it sold.

I didn't mean "guys" as in males only. Sorry about that. Just razzin ya. :giggle:

Do you actively buy more? Or are you just hanging on to the stuff you already have?

I've searched around and it seems that a lot of online "mints" and bullion sellers mark up the silver rounds about 15-20% or more based on the spot price of silver. Even more of a markup for actual currency like US silver dollars.

I'll try to post some pictures of some of the coins I have, that were given to me by my grandpa. I know a few of the silver dollars are from the 90s, which isn't that old, but they are in nice cases with "proof" plastic cases and certificate of authenticity on them. Searching very briefly shows it might be worth over $150. Which I know we didn't pay that much for it back in 1993.
Also have some "Peace" silver dollars from the 20s. And some buffalo nickels from, I think all the way back to the 1910s. A few of the coins even have a date in the 1800s, which I had totally forgotten about.
I'm going to make a log and try to determine some sort of rough estimate on today's value.

Anyone have a source they trust for valuing coins? Not looking to sell them, just get an idea.
I have collected coins for about 20 years, starting with proof sets, then adding circulation coins. I think I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive;
I can't stand to have an empty slot in the collectors albums. :) I have every proof set from 1957 to the present, as well as most mint sets and
quite a few silver proof sets. I have a leather album for each type of coin during that period - penny, nickel, dime, quarter etc. I filled those with mostly coins from circulation but did buy a few harder to find coins. Going backwards from 57, I have a mishmash of coins that I found interesting - some with a little bullion value, some just "neat" or unusual. I've always liked the Morgan dollars and have quite a few of those.
They (and the Peace dollars) will actually have some value, depending on the price of silver.

The numismatic value determines a lot of the pricing for collectables. Some of the proof sets I bought were $3 - $4, while the next year's set
might be $60. I don't actively search for coins much anymore -although I always look through my change - and I just kind of hang on to
these.

As for investment metals, I have gold and silver coins. Mostly silver eagles - at least one roll (20 coins) from each year since they
were released in 1986. I also have some foreign rounds - Maple Leaf, Panda Bear, etc.
In my opinion the US Walking Liberty is the most beautiful silver coin in the world - but I might be a little biased. :)
I have a Saint Gaudens $20 gold piece that I'm proud of, and various other gold coins.
I seem to be more of a collector - I gather coins, but rarely release them. LOL (Although I did sell a few investment coins last
year when prices hit record highs.)

I have a coin dealer I trust that I have dealt with for decades. I think that's the best way to find the items you want and to get
good valuations for what you have. If you can find someone local who has been in business for a while, you might start there.
Pro tip - my dealer gets a HUGE batch of homemade fudge every Christmas. :LOL:

Good grief, sorry for running on - this is way more than you wanted to hear! This is something I have enjoyed, so there is a risk
of me boring you to tears. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have collected coins for about 20 years, starting with proof sets, then adding circulation coins. I think I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive;
I can't stand to have an empty slot in the collectors albums. :) I have every proof set from 1957 to the present, as well as most mint sets and
quite a few silver proof sets. I have a leather album for each type of coin during that period - penny, nickel, dime, quarter etc. I filled those with mostly coins from circulation but did buy a few harder to find coins. Going backwards from 57, I have a mishmash of coins that I found interesting - some with a little bullion value, some just "neat" or unusual. I've always liked the Morgan dollars and have quite a few of those.
They (and the Peace dollars) will actually have some value, depending on the price of silver.

The numismatic value determines a lot of the pricing for collectables. Some of the proof sets I bought were $3 - $4, while the next year's set
might be $60. I don't actively search for coins much anymore -although I always look through my change - and I just kind of hang on to
these.

As for investment metals, I have gold and silver coins. Mostly silver eagles - at least one roll (20 coins) from each year since they
were released in 1986. I also have some foreign rounds - Maple Leaf, Panda Bear, etc.
In my opinion the US Walking Liberty is the most beautiful silver coin in the world - but I might be a little biased. :)
I have a Saint Gaudens $20 gold piece that I'm proud of, and various other gold coins.
I seem to be more of a collector - I gather coins, but rarely release them. LOL (Although I did sell a few investment coins last
year when prices hit record highs.)

I have a coin dealer I trust that I have dealt with for decades. I think that's the best way to find the items you want and to get
good valuations for what you have. If you can find someone local who has been in business for a while, you might start there.
Pro tip - my dealer gets a HUGE batch of homemade fudge every Christmas. :LOL:

Good grief, sorry for running on - this is way more than you wanted to hear! This is something I have enjoyed, so there is a risk
of me boring you to tears. :rolleyes:

Totally not bored! This is very interesting to me!

Wow, you must have a huge safe or crate to keep your coins in. That's impressive to have all of those proof sets.
My collection is no where close to yours although I suspect my grandfather's collection is rather large. He was a big silver coin / currency collector. My mother has his collection (he passed away March 2020) and I plan to go through it one day soon. She has less knowledge of coins than me, and I know just a little.

I have some of those albums you mentioned, one for pennies, one for the US state quarters collection, and another for silver dollars. I started collecting those as a kid, and never got around to finishing....I plan to finish two of books with my daughters, who are 3 and 5 years old. I'll probably just buy some rolls of coins from the bank and look through those. My silver dollar book only has 5 pieces in there, not sure if I'll ever get that one filled.

I've recently bought some silver 1 oz rounds. The ones from Australia are very cool looking. I have not purchased any gold, as you know those are much more expensive than silver pieces.
After keeping an eye on the prices for online sellers, they are very much linked with the spot price of silver. So I'll probably make most my purchases when the price "dips".

Sounds like I need to make some visits to the local coin shops and get to know the owners....and start learning how to make homemade fudge!

BTW, I've found this site to have some of the best rates per ounce for buying silver rounds and bars. If anyone else knows of better deals out there, please share!
I think the "Ape Exclusive Pricing" is from a silver group on Reddit called WallStreetSilver

Last edited:
We have options?? :oops: :)

I've collected some coins over the years, mostly silver.
Back when I was able I metal detected and found several silver coins and a lot of clad.
Nothing like seeing the glint of silver in your dig hole, looking like the day it was lost.
I have never used a metal detector, but I can easily imagine that feeling. :D

I got into collecting American Silver Eagles starting with the first year of issue, then the proof versions of those, then proof commemorative coins from back in time to present, then probably 30 years of annual uncirculated and proof and silver proof coin sets, then decent quality versions of first year of issue circulating coins going back in time, then the complete State Quarter series, and at one point I bought a 1oz American Gold Eagle when gold was about $450/oz.

Then one day I looked at all of the plastic storage tubs sitting in the closet, full of coins I never looked at or displayed or really enjoyed, and decided to auction them off one by one on eBay. I think now about all I have is the State Quarter collection, first year of the Silver Eagle uncirculated and proof, and maybe one or two Morgan dollars.

But I still have photos of all of them from the eBay auctions to enjoy.

DSC03063.jpg

95SILVER.JPG

DSC01725.JPG

DSC01688.JPG

nickelfront.jpg

pennyfront (2).jpg

DSC01785.JPG

Totally not bored! This is very interesting to me!

Wow, you must have a huge safe or crate to keep your coins in. That's impressive to have all of those proof sets.
My collection is no where close to yours although I suspect my grandfather's collection is rather large. He was a big silver coin / currency collector. My mother has his collection (he passed away March 2020) and I plan to go through it one day soon. She has less knowledge of coins than me, and I know just a little.

I have some of those albums you mentioned, one for pennies, one for the US state quarters collection, and another for silver dollars. I started collecting those as a kid, and never got around to finishing....I plan to finish two of books with my daughters, who are 3 and 5 years old. I'll probably just buy some rolls of coins from the bank and look through those. My silver dollar book only has 5 pieces in there, not sure if I'll ever get that one filled.

I've recently bought some silver 1 oz rounds. The ones from Australia are very cool looking. I have not purchased any gold, as you know those are much more expensive than silver pieces.
After keeping an eye on the prices for online sellers, they are very much linked with the spot price of silver. So I'll probably make most my purchases when the price "dips".

Sounds like I need to make some visits to the local coin shops and get to know the owners....and start learning how to make homemade fudge!

BTW, I've found this site to have some of the best rates per ounce for buying silver rounds and bars. If anyone else knows of better deals out there, please share!
I think the "Ape Exclusive Pricing" is from a silver group on Reddit called WallStreetSilver
Your grandfather's collection is something you can look forward to! I am intrigued by the history of old coins and the thrill of finding
them. "Thrill" might be a little dramatic :LOL: but it's fun to stumble across them, and very satisfying if you've hunted them down. And in
Bob's case I imagine it's doubly so when you dig them out of the ground! I found an 1856 half dollar, and I remember telling people "This is so cool - Abraham Lincoln could have had this coin in his pocket!" And of course they looked at me like "what a nerd". Guilty. :rolleyes: LOL

I hope that your kids develop an interest in this hobby, that you can all share. When the Mint started the Quarters program back in
the 90s, there was increased interest but I think that kind of faded. I have a ton of those state quarters and no one with any interest,
so if there are some you just can't find, let me know. I'll be happy to send any that I have.
For the youngsters in my family, I started getting yearly proof sets for them when they were born. I would hold them until the kids were old enough to know what they are and then give them. So far none of them have shown any interest, so I guess they can use them for candy, cigarettes or whatever. LOL (This is a little simplistic, but I figure coins will always be worth AT LEAST face value - unlike a lot of things people collect.)
As for filling those books, that just takes time - you'll get there. Unfortunately the timing is not the best for you, with precious metals
prices at higher levels. I was lucky that when I started, they were in a decline, so I was able to get a good enough start to get hooked
on it. AND I've had 20 years. As you stated, you will have better opportunities if you just hang in there.

I agree with you about the Australia rounds, they are cool. Is that the Kookaburra? VERY nice. I like the pretty ones, so even if they
don't increase in value, I can at least enjoy looking at them. ;) I took a picture of a couple of mine last night, just in case.
I will post them in a bit - they are just a little unusual ones that I keep on display in my home office.

Nice collection, Chris. I never really got into the graded coins. In the beginning they were too expensive
for me, and later I was just more interested in other types.

I understand about the collection that you never really enjoy. You may be a bit like me, once it's "finished",
so are you. LOL The thrill of the hunt and all that...

It would be nice if you knew you could leave them to someone who would appreciate them. I'm pretty sure that
person is not in my family though. LOL
I think you were smart to liquidate them on your terms.

Last edited:
In 2008, the US Mint released some commemorative coins in honor of the bald eagle named Challenger.
This first pic is the obverse of the 1 oz silver proof round, and second pic is the reverse.
It has, literally, a mirror finish - I had a hard time getting a picture without my reflection in it.

The next coin is a silver round not produced by the US Mint (but still 1 oz) which was in the toolkit that
came with a Roush Mustang package in 1998. You could send in the coin to Roush Enterprises and they would
engrave it with your VIN and return it to you. (This pic is purposely a little blurred because I no longer have that
car and not sure the VIN should be shown.)
It probably has no numismatic value, but I like it. And hey, it will always have the silver value!:giggle:

Attachments

• eagle1.jpg
    eagle1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 3
  • eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Roush.jpg
    Roush.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3
I got into collecting American Silver Eagles starting with the first year of issue, then the proof versions of those, then proof commemorative coins from back in time to present, then probably 30 years of annual uncirculated and proof and silver proof coin sets, then decent quality versions of first year of issue circulating coins going back in time, then the complete State Quarter series, and at one point I bought a 1oz American Gold Eagle when gold was about $450/oz.

Then one day I looked at all of the plastic storage tubs sitting in the closet, full of coins I never looked at or displayed or really enjoyed, and decided to auction them off one by one on eBay. I think now about all I have is the State Quarter collection, first year of the Silver Eagle uncirculated and proof, and maybe one or two Morgan dollars.

But I still have photos of all of them from the eBay auctions to enjoy.

View attachment 32220

View attachment 32221

View attachment 32223

View attachment 32222

View attachment 32225

View attachment 32226

View attachment 32224

Uncirculated Morgan is pretty amazing. Those other older coins you had must have been worth quite a bit. Anything from the 1800s that's in that good of condition is incredible....must be valuable.

We have options?? :oops: :)

I've collected some coins over the years, mostly silver.
Back when I was able I metal detected and found several silver coins and a lot of clad.
Nothing like seeing the glint of silver in your dig hole, looking like the day it was lost.

I've thought about getting a metal detector. I have a creek that runs through my backyard and I imagine that there must be some coins and maybe jewelry back there from way back when people would swim or fish in the creek.
My uncle also owns a house that was built in 1890, so probably quite a few old coins around the outside of his house.

Maybe one day I'll get one, but for now I've joined a metal detector Facebook group and enjoy seeing people post pictures of the things they dig up.

Back