Anthony Bourdain on Barbecue

Originally posted by M D Baldwin:
OK,
I am a real fan of this guy. I love his books, cook book and general irreverent attitude. He has to be THE expert on world cuisine-God knows he has eaten much of it.
Same with me.

Bourdain was in Portland a couple of months ago promoting a new book and also filming an episode for his TravelChannel series "No Reservations" about the Pacific Northwest.

We attended a book signing and he's a genuinely funny guy, intelligent and engaging.

Thanks for posting his essay. It was a pleasure to read.

Jim

Greetings,
Our son is achef in Austin,Tx. He has done everything from wait staff to Executive Chef.
He gave us a copy of "Kitchen Confidential" and said"Read this. It describes what I have been doing for the last 10 years".

This is an example of a good article made great by referance to my main man... Homer J Simpson. Truly what a magical and mystical beast.

This part is EXACTLY the way I feel about BBQ!!

The true glory of barbecue: No matter what barbecue you've eaten, someone will always tell you there's better. No matter what "home of the original barbecue" you've visited, knowledgeable people will tell you it in fact lies elsewhere. "Best sauce," most "authentic," to rub or not to rub, baste with sauce or sauce-on-side — ultimately, who cares? To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue — and never actually finding it would be a life well spent, a delicious journey in which enlightenment comes with the search — not the arrival.

Excellent writing...the man knows his Q. Man, I'd love to have a beer (or 8) with A. Bourdain.
icon_biggrin.gif

Pat Barnes,

Would you be willing to share which restaurant your son is affiliated with? Just curious.

Paul

None at the moment. Gotta take a break every so often. I can send you a list of the places he's worked in Austin if you would like.

Back