Another SF Bay Area member

Jon in SF

TVWBB Fan
Hello all! First of all, I'd like to say that I REALLY appreciate this site. I've only been lurking for a few weeks, but it's saved me so much money already. I've had Weber Kettles for a long time but I've mainly used them for grilling. I've BBQ'd ribs and other meats before but nothing really serious. But lately I've been getting the smoke bug and decided to do some research after seeing pictures of so many delicious smoked goodness. I almost bought a cheap off set smoker but then found that I can achieve better results with what I have, an old 22.5 kettle. I'm not sure which series it is, but it has 3 dampers at the bottom. I actually like it better than the One Touch system cause I can keep two of the dampers closed and one open for air so they don't get blocked with ash.

Anyway, to make a long story short, rather than spending the $200+ I was prepared to spend on a smoker, I spent a total of $5 for 4 fire bricks! I also have a Lil Smokey Joe that I'm in the process of turning into a mini WSM. That's another $200+ I saved because of this site!

Ok, enough rambling. I should've just said, Hi I'm Jon, I live in the SF Bay Area and I love this site! The end....

Hey Ho Welcome Jon! I'm just south of you a bit. You're going to love the 3 wheeler! Also, I use firebrick all the time for 2 zone cooking - works great.

Your kettle will also use less fuel than that offset or a WSM so more savings there too. Welcome to the group.

Back