Ah, The Agony of Defeat...

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
OK, barbecue/smoker brethren and brethrenettes --

I've been "smoke roasting", as Mr. Raichlen calls it, all my chicken, whether it's parts or the whole chicken. I've been using cherry wood, because it gives the chicken a nice deep red color and a nice smoky flavor. I tried apple wood the last time around, and there's still that nice wood flavor, IMHO, but the color is lacking.

Alas, The Boss has decreed that I shall no longer use any kind of wood when cooking chicken -- sauce, yes; injection, yes; rub, yes; wood, NFW! She has decreed that the wood does indeed impart a smoky flavor which, apparently, The Boss absolutely abhors.

So, now I'm thinking about how I can enhance the flavor of the chicken, or as the cognoscenti like to say, add another layer of flavor.

Other than glaze or sauce, or marinade in lieu of injection, is there anything else I can use?

Cook for yourself and offer the "smokeless one" a couple of McChicken sandwiches from McDonalds.

I'm in the same boat as well, the wife doesn't really care for the smoke, nor appreciates what goes into a finely smoked piece of meat...

Have you tried brining? You can add all sorts of flavors in a addition to the sugar/salt water bath, like bay leaves, lemon, garlic, herbs, etc.

Why don't you just try grilling it? I've done chicken (primarily beer can whole birds) and when that skin gets crispy (with no seasoning other than natural chicken juices), it is absolutely the best! If grilling pieces, just be careful of flame ups (or just do it offset).

The Boss has decreed that I shall no longer use any kind of wood when cooking chicken -- sauce, yes; injection, yes; rub, yes; wood, NFW! She has decreed that the wood does indeed impart a smoky flavor which, apparently, The Boss absolutely abhors.
What you should do is try using the Kingsford: Applewood or Hickory or Mesquite. You get the blue smoke from the moment you light it, and it's very light and will probably get the bosses approval. Another thing is; what's the temp of you food when you put it on? Is it cold, having just come out of the fridge? If so, try taking it out no more than an hour before you're ready to put it on the grill. That will reduce what "sticks" to your food you're smoking.

Back