Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am fairly new to smoking, and I have read all of the troubleshooting ideas, yet I still seem to have trouble with my Weber maintaining a temperature above 200. I am using Kingsford charcoal. Any further suggestions??

How are you taking the temp? Location, type of therm, have you tested the therm. . .

One thing I realized with a through the vent therm, is that the stem has to be 3 to 4 inches in the lid to work.

I have been taking it through the vent the stem is about 6 inches long- I have tested and even tried others only to get the same results

I discovered one cold, windy winter night that the cool wind can run down the vent and along the stem of the thermometer and give a false reading. Also, with a 6 inch stem, you may be too long and getting a false reading from the proximity to the meat. I've done that more than once with my Polder

Dale

A summary of how you start your WSM, vent openings, water or sand, etc will help everyone try to diagnose the problem. Don't be concerned with giving too much information...the more details the easier to help!

Kevin,

Are you sure your water pan is not sitting on your charcoal ring? Many a new owner has made this mistake and it keeps the temps down.

Try using the Minion Method (found on this site) to start the charcoal, if you don't already. Also, try using sand instead of water.

I made the "best ribs in the universe" recipe which calls for using the "standard method" I follow both to a "T" using 10-15 lbs of Kingsford charcoal.

incidentally, they came out great, I was just concerned that I could not get the temp up- I just cooked them a little longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back