Adding thermometer temp gauge to lid vent deflector

Misha

This topic is not about:
- the best place for thermometer;
- the right height for temp probe (lid temp or grate temp);
- correct temperature readings
- lid thermometer vs digital wired thermometer vs wireless thermometer.
Off course you're free to discuss whatever you'd like, that just would be off the topic subject.

Some of us who don't have lid thermometer in our kettles would like to add one. I also have seen on videos that people drilling out the rivet that holds lid vend deflector and installing thermometer in that center hole where rivet used to sit.
My questions are:
- does your thermometer stays in place when you spin the vent dial?
- how to make it the way that thermometer stays in place?

Thanks!

Not my photo, just for reference.
1711740425917.jpeg

Last edited:
I never seen that one before. Not sure (IMO) of doing it because failure of the rivet.
I like top vent for temps. Just got done dangling my Dot probe in my 22.5" WSM top vent.
I've also done various ways like this.

If you were going to try it you would have to find a therm with the right sized stem. Drill from the inside so you don't compromise the rivet edges.

Attachments

• 20240329_154604.jpg
    20240329_154604.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 4
I was able to install thermometer instead of that rivet. Yes, I had to drill it out from the inside and then I had to make a hole in both lid and vent deflector just a little big bigger so the thermometer can go through. It is in Smokey Joe, so this is thermometer with the shortest probe I was able to find.
I was not able to make it stay in place, so it moves together with the vent, which is still ok though.

Attachments

• 20240329_222822.jpg
    20240329_222822.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240329_222836.jpg
    20240329_222836.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Thermometer.jpg
    Thermometer.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 9
I kinda like it.
Can you easily spin it back to to the correct position after you adjust the vent?
Would a snug fitting drilled out jumbo rivet do anything different?
I have never cared for the manufacturers location.
They’ve done so many things right but then do stuff like this 🤷‍♂️.

I kinda like it.
Can you easily spin it back to to the correct position after you adjust the vent?
Would a snug fitting drilled out jumbo rivet do anything different?
I have never cared for the manufacturers location.
They’ve done so many things right but then do stuff like this 🤷‍♂️.
Yes, you can move thermometer independently too. But I am actually ok with how it turned out now because what I need is only 45 degrees turn, and I can perfectly read what's thermometer say.
I am not about manufacturer location, this is Smokey Joe, and there was no thermometer at all, so I decided to add one. And as I am planning on some indirect cook, I didn't want to have it on the opposite to vent side, because it will be on top of coals and show me temps that I am not interested in, I need temps on cooking side or at least on exhaust.
As you can see, I also installed revolving handle on vent deflector for easier control and nicer look. I did the same on bottom vent. And I also will install some heat shield for the handle.

Back