addind a third grate ?? is it possible ??

Louis

TVWBB Fan
Hi there,

Any of you ever tried to fit a third grate between the two that are already there ???

i was trying to think of an idea to add more space for ribs when i am planning big party, and this one came to me !! i was thinking of using big rod, and nuts to fix the grate to the one on the top ....

hell yeah that's what i'm talking about
icon_smile.gif

i was already able to do 12 ribs rack whit 2 grates so i shall be able to go to 16 now
icon_smile.gif

Not sure if you have an 18 or 22.

On my 18" I bought the BGE grate extender, works great and you could put one on the top and one on the bottom to give you 4 racks.

On my 22", I did the below mod.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/3191048306

I measured and don't suggest using longer straps on the 18". With the current distance between the 2 grates, it is tight to get another top grate in between. Another bottom grate would fit (obviously) thru the top supports, but you would need a removable screw on one side to support it on. Removalbe to get the the bottom grate in.

Louis, I use three grates in my 18.5" quite often for smoking chicken, especially leg quarters, and as long as you leave some space between the slabs of ribs, that'll work, too.

I did a mod very similar to Josh's, but I didn't drill any new holes and I think I may have made it slightly longer so I could put butts on all three racks. I used the lower stock holes with slightly longer bolts to hold the second grate, and the third sits on the bend like Josh's. It works like a charm. By the way, thanks Josh for the idea. That's what I love about this place. Lots of thinkers willing to share their ideas.

thanx to you all !
icon_smile.gif

i will go at home depot to buy a 18" grate but i think i will first try to hold it with rods and nuts attached to the first grate .....

I will rarely need it so I don't want anything permanent at the moment !

Thanx again for your help guys

Keep Smokin' !

Louis, I've got three carriage bolts attached that poke up from the perimeter of my bottom grate. If I want to use my third grate, I just drop it in and make sure the heads of my bottom grate bolts line up right, not in the gaps by the handles of my extra grate.

I'll probably one day order another one of the bottom grates to bolt to a top one so that two could be removed at once, but my present mod works just fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Mitchell:
I did a mod very similar to Josh's, but I didn't drill any new holes and I think I may have made it slightly longer so I could put butts on all three racks. I used the lower stock holes with slightly longer bolts to hold the second grate, and the third sits on the bend like Josh's. It works like a charm. By the way, thanks Josh for the idea. That's what I love about this place. Lots of thinkers willing to share their ideas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem Shane. I got the inspiration from somewhere on here of course.

I added 3" to the straps, which gives me 6" of clearance on the bottom and middle racks. Perfect for 10 lb butts.

I actually have a new set ordered. I had issues with the metal supporting the pan bending, so I am having them bend some metal go back to the wall to prevent any bending out.

Hi Glenn,

It looks like a great setup ! from what i can see on the picture the third grate you added has only 2 anchor points attached to the bottom grate ? is that right ?

If it is, does it offer enough stability to the grate ?

thank you !

All 3 grates have 4 points, top and bottom are factory and the middle is setting on 4 stainless screws.

Back