Addicted to Pulled Pork ????

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
My "freezer" stock of (leftover), PP is getting low.

I'm starting to get "fidgety" and "twitch' a little. Does this mean I'm addicted to PP ???

Anyone else get that kinda feeling when their getting low on the frozen leftover PP ?

I recently started making (2) butts at a time for the leftovers to freeze and now I'm kinda spoiled .

Can I get help/treatment for this condition ???

I too share your disorder :)

I keep giving the excuse of trying to perfect my mustard sauce.. heh

My treatment is simply.. more..

Cook 70 lbs of pork every weekend for a couple of months like I have and you will get over your addiction.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Can I get helptreatment for this condition ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. See Porky Perry's post
icon_smile.gif

Having to cook 70 lb of pp every weekend means that it has turned into a job instead of just for fun and good eats.

I am having fun cooking the pork. We have been donating it all for my boys football team consessions with the money made going sraight to the team to use for whatever they need. And since we have been winning, I get to do it for a few more weeks. Regional champs!

I experiment every week too. I find that slow cooked pork is better than fast cooked. The fat renders way better. Cooking fast works, but pulling the slow cooked pork is easy, and to me a better overall product.
That advice probably wont help your addiction.
icon_smile.gif

John,it's ok. Go get a couple of butts,smoke 'em ,pull 'em,freeze 'em,have two sandwiches and you'll feel much better
icon_cool.gif
. You're fine. There are a lot worse things you could be addicted to. Like smoking on a ECB!
icon_razz.gif

Dale, you are right about slow versus fast when it comes to pork. Time to experiment with some different things for the crowds to get you ready for next years comps

Shared. In that mode right now. Totally out. Need to fit in a cook very soon to stock up for the winter. Thinking about doing pork and chuck this time so I will have both. Thinking about combining a 3 way of pork, lamb, and beef shoulder.

Ray

I'm going to stock up for the winter. Weathers supposed to be nice this week, will pick a day and smoke a couple of butts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:

I'm starting to get "fidgety" and "twitch' a little. Does this mean I'm addicted to PP ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's the DT's. Try Porkers Anonymous, they have a 12 Step Program.
icon_wink.gif

Dale, I didn't notice the difference in pulling difficulty, but I don't do that much. Could have been that way.

Hey Paul! I have experimented every single cook useing the crowd as my flavor gauge. I swear that the average eater/non-cook would think anything us bbq nuts make is the best thing in the world. I always think, eh, its ok and the crowd goes ga ga over it. I really think I could make a go with a restaurant around here if you want to back me.$$$$ lol

Pork. My honest opinion is that cooking pork fast and hitting the target temp doesnt give the fat enough time to render, at least not enough for my taste. Another thing I dont like about fast cooking pork is the bark. I hate it when the bark gets too dark and tough. Hate that.

This is all just my opinion but cooking pork slow seems to keep the target temp sustained longer, in turn giving the fat more time to dissolve and render out. Not just the target temp, but a slow climb until it hits the temp and sustained in the 195 or so area.

I have smoked more pork this year than I ever could have imagined, and so trying to make my job faster, I high heat cooked a bunch of it. It turns out OK, but when pulling pork, I remove all of the fat possible and if the fat is rendered, well you get my meaning.

We just bought a case of butts today that I am cooking for this Friday night football game. Cheapest ive seen around here for sometime. .89 cents a pound. Last week it was $1.59. Explain that one.

One last thing and my rant will be over. Try a smoked chuck roll. That will help with your pork addiction! mmmm.

Back